Nick Jonas WHO I AM, Breakup Record?

nick-jonas-electric

Nick Jonas TimeOut interview. On keeping The Administration a secret: It was pretty quiet. I was actually surprised that it was that quiet for that long. I was super-protective of it, and I still am very protective, just because I always wanted it to be the right setup. The way it came out was a bit of a shock to a lot of people, including us, but I think that it was kind of great the way it happened. We’re just excited now that people will listen to it, and hopefully they’ll like it.

On what a Jonas Brothers fan might think of the record: Going into the recording process, I knew it would be something different, although I didn’t know how different it would be. For the first time in my life, I think, I said, Just do what you need to do now, think about how you’re going to set it up and what the setup’s going to be like. I had about eight months to do that, to lay in bed before I went to sleep every night and just think about each step. So far, the response has been great. ‘Who I Am’ is a bridge track: It kind of has a little bit of that Jonas Brothers sound, but it definitely does introduce some new sounds.

Parts of Who I Am sound like a breakup record.. ‘I think the experience was the moment when I kind of went through the list of double meanings that I could use. So ‘The Rose Garden,’ ‘Conspiracy Theory,’ ‘Olive & an Arrow’ and ‘State of Emergency’ were basically the only ones from that list of probably 50 of these ideas that I had that stuck. And ‘Rose Garden’ being the first one, I think it did have a personal connection with me, but it was also a story I was trying to tell, a story that, yes, I did feel a connection to personally.

And there was something I could relate it to, but I also wanted it to be general, about how everyone can find their safe place in the rose garden, whether it’s a person in their life, an actual place or a thing that makes them feel safe. There are some songs that are personal, about relationships and things, but what I’ve tried to do, like my idol Elvis Costello does, is kind of put a disguise on it. We speak a little more literally in Jonas Brothers songs, and this one I wanted to disguise with a story.

On Jonas Brothers not breaking up: Well, I do my tour in January, my record comes out early February, and in mid-February we go back into production on our TV show [Jonas]. As far as a new Jonas Brothers album goes, we’ve released four in about three and a half years, so we all kind of said,

‘Let’s take our time.’ It can be expensive to be a Jonas Brothers fan with that many records out there! So we’re going to take our time on the next one. I wouldn’t be surprised if we went to a castle somewhere, stayed there for two months and just took the time to make an album that we’re really proud of.

• rafaela

have you guys heard his songs?
    state of emergency is AMAZING.
    and the chorus is like. wow

hes honestly the best with or without joe and kevin

even tho its hard to say it and i LOVE the jonas brothers with my life and want them together forever.
    nick can pull of his solo proyect. any day.

• livindalife

Coolness.

• hpaddictedx

I’m not trying to get all Niley over here but Olive & An Arrow reminded me of their relationship since they are always on and off/fighting or loving eachother.

• WhoIam

finally a new post :)

• Cacth me ?

2010 YEAR OF NELENA,

SORRY HATERS BUT MILEY AND NICK
    HAD THEIR YEAR, IN 2009.
    AND MILEY’S HAPPY WITH LIAM
    SO IF YOU’RE A TRUE NILEY FAN YOU’D
    SUPPORT THAT!!!

AWWE CONGRATS NICK, HE’S SUCH
    A HARDWORKING TALENTED GUY!

rose garden HAS GOT to be about selena. it personal to him and who else could it be about if not her?

• Run Jonas Run

Jan 3, 2010 @ 03:43 pm
    ilovemusic said:
    He is so musically gifted it’s not even funny.
    Indeed!

• rafaela

btw. love you nick <333

january 7th :D

• Charlotte-x-

OU, where did you get break up record from this? The hail?

• Gemini

interesting

• WhoIam

dont worry oceanUP is late on everything except nelena and made up rumors… js :P

• Charlotte-x-

Oh, wait. Nevermind. I only read the bold bit. Fail, Charlotte.

oh nick, you and your man-crush on elvis costello xD

Jan 3, 2010 @ 03:45 pm
    Gemini said:

interesting

I love your icon, she’s so gorgeous.

See people I’m a Selena fan yet
    I adore Miley Cyrus. learn from me!!

im gonna trick my parents into listening to nick’s new cd. my dad hates the jonas brothers but he might actually be somewhat impressed by his new music.

• mhmm .

Awe, he’s so freaking talented, it’s hard to believe how he could get any better…but then he does ! I’m so excited for THIS album , AND the next JB one! I swear, 2010 is their year. (:

• Run Jonas Run

I think he is referring to Selena. I mean, I could be wrong. But from what I’ve heard in the song.. all signs point to her. Her mom was pregnant with her when she was real young, (16 or 17 I think) and her dad left when she was small which is also in the song. Then again, it could be about someone else. It’s just what I thought.
    <><><><><><><><><>
    It could be about someone we don’t know about. But it does sound like it’s about Selena.

• WhoIam

2010 YEAR OF NELENA,

SORRY HATERS BUT MILEY AND NICK
    HAD THEIR YEAR, IN 2009.
    AND MILEY’S HAPPY WITH LIAM
    SO IF YOU’RE A TRUE NILEY FAN YOU’D
    SUPPORT THAT!!!

AWWE CONGRATS NICK, HE’S SUCH
    A HARDWORKING TALENTED GUY!
    ———————————-
    did you really have to post that really just leave, no one was talking about them

• livindalife

Trufax.

NELENA IS BACK GUYS !!!!!
    Demi is not sick . I am sure she is faking it

hpaddictedx said:

Probably is since his album is
    all from personal experiences!

• ilovemusic

My dad doesn’t hate them, he just doesn’t listen to them. But he knows Nick is very talented. And my mom…well my mom loves them xD

• Charlotte-x-

It can be expensive to be a Jonas Brothers fan.

You’re damn right, Nicholas. I spent more money than I’m worth last summer to see you bicthes live.

WhoIam said:

2010 YEAR OF NELENA,

SORRY HATERS BUT MILEY AND NICK
    HAD THEIR YEAR, IN 2009.
    AND MILEY’S HAPPY WITH LIAM
    SO IF YOU’RE A TRUE NILEY FAN YOU’D
    SUPPORT THAT!!!

AWWE CONGRATS NICK, HE’S SUCH
    A HARDWORKING TALENTED GUY!
    ———————————-

Why should they leave? they’re stating
    their opinion, what can’t handle
    a little truth? hmm….

nick said rose garden was about maya. so FAIL on the selena bull

• _Tiger_

NELENA IS BACK GUYS !!!!!
    Demi is not sick . I am sure she is faking it
    Can you get me their phone numbers? Ya’ know, since you know them so well.

• WhoIam

Trufax.
    what does that mean? lol
    What you said before is a true fact.
    It’s gossip slang haha.
    ahh okay :) lol well its the truth

• livindalife

NELENA IS BACK GUYS !!!!!
    Demi is not sick . I am sure she is faking it
    Can you get me their phone numbers? Ya’ know, since you know them so well.
    Haha and I love your icon.

• LaughALot:D

——————————————
    hahaha my dad also hate them but haha I don’t are

• livindalife

Trufax.
    what does that mean? lol
    What you said before is a true fact.
    It’s gossip slang haha.
    ahh okay :) lol well its the truth
    Yup haha.

I’m really not normally one for being like “oh Nick went to visit Miley = NILEY 09 BITCHES!!”

Buuuut I do have a feeling something is going on with Nelena.. :\

• cool

What was up with Nick last night?
    He’s not focus and he kept looking up…

at 0:22

——————————————–
    its obvious what youre trying to do! FAIL!

• CoinBears

I still think that Rose Garden isn’t about Selena. Like he said, he puts a disguise in his songs for the Administration. Meaning, you wouldn’t be able to pick off who it was about so quickly – if it even was about someone. He connects with it, but most likely not for the obvious reason.

• WhoIam

you know who would make the best couple i might sound crazy but miley and joe XD i know its bad if joe did that to nick but they would be so cute together! like they are perfect for each other if you think of it :) jiley

• abusedTampon

hpaddictedx said:

__________

Miley looks so adorable in your icon <3

• livindalife

Jan 3, 2010 @ 03:54 pm

Buuuut I do have a feeling something is going on with Nelena.. :\
    Yup! You are right! Something is going on! It’s called….FRIENDSHIP! You learn about it in kindergarten.

I think Rose Garden is personal to Nick because it is about Selena and he dated Selena and may be dating her again.

When I first heard that song I just felt without a doubt that it was about Selena.

• msjonas13

i dont want them to breakup
    im going to cry :(

• erinh404

oceanup has the most misleading titles ever.
    it totally seemed to me they meant “break-up” as in breakup of the jonas brothers, when really it meant relationships. darn you, oceanup, darn you!

• Charlotte-x-

What was up with Nick last night?
    He’s not focus and he kept looking up…

at 0:22

Well there were fans in the upper section. And his family and friends were in the balcony.

——————————————
    hahaha my dad also hate them but haha I don’t
    my dad really only likes classic rock. he doesn’t even really give anything else a chance.

• Joseph-lover

there is another Jonas post!pisse me off when OU post them all at the same time

• Joanna.

nick said rose garden was about maya. so FAIL on the selena bull
    ________________________________
    Proof or it never happened.

• ilovemusic

i dont want them to breakup
    im going to cry :(

O.o
    They’re not breaking up for the billionth time…

if my dad and my brother and his friends love miley cyrus and taylor swift i think that they can give nick a try.

Nick Jonas.

I’m happy whoever he’s with. I like Niley. Im still happy if its Nelena. I really dotn care.

But it irritates me, because it seem sliek he jumps around those two depending on who hes around. He love smiley, then when they’re apart and he cant be with her, he goes to selena, then she’s back and he goes
    back.

LIKE WTF.

What was up with Nick last night?
    He’s not focus and he kept looking up…

at 0:22

I think he was looking at Selena.

• hpaddictedx

Miley looks so adorable in your icon <3
    She does <3

• Anonhgdfhycxghgfmous

Buuuut I do have a feeling something is going on with Nelena.. :\
    lmfaooooooooo tru datttt !!! ( true that ) lol

• lahh(:

I think it has connect to both Selena and Miley. There you have it. He did date both of them…didn’t he? So, of course he would write about his experiences with the two girls.

he is such a bad singer! he sounds like hes trying to take a shit when he sings…
    come on, its true

• Gemini

Jan 3, 2010 @ 03:45 pm
    Gemini said:

interesting

I love your icon, she’s so gorgeous.

See people I’m a Selena fan yet
    I adore Miley Cyrus. learn from me!!

thanx and thats good

• livindalife

Jan 3, 2010 @ 03:49 pm
    WhoIam said:

Trufax.
    what does that mean? lol
    What you said before is a true fact.
    It’s gossip slang haha.

“And ‘Rose Garden’ being the first one, I think it did have a personal connection with me, but it was also a story I was trying to tell, a story that, yes, I did feel a connection to personally”

Oh God

I can see where that one is going

If Joe starts acting, I hope he takes
    a few acting lessons first.
    *cough*from*cough*selena*cough*

__________________________________

Eh, I don’t know if I agree.
    I like Selena, but she plays the same roles over and over so far. Like the sarcastic, ‘i don’t give a fuck’ attitude. I’m waiting for new material :)

• Ellie

Emma said:
    why do people always assumer his songs have to be anbut miley or selena. He does have other people in his life that arent just miley and selena. his life doesnt revolve around them. Im not hating, i love miley, selena and nick but seriously, niley and nelena fans are a tad pathetic :/

OH MY CATFISH ON A STICK. I LOVE YOU.
    Thank goodness someone else here is SANE, and recognises Nick’s actual talent in MUSIC, not his love life.
    Far out, you guys. I love Selena, not so much Miley. But can you just give Nick a break? He wants to be taken seriously. These songs are raw and he’s put everything on the line and made himself so vulnerable to criticism and things. But to throw all his hard work back in his face and just keep talking about his relationships is just cruel. Cut it out already.
    I don’t care who his songs are about. You know why? Because it’s Nick’s music, from his heart. I’d rather congratulate him on his hard work than sit for hours, analysing his songs and trying to see who they’re about.

Ugh, I agree. Some of you Nelena/Niley people are really pathetic.

• ericabbyx22

Watch out for the nelena teenies.

• ammanda

I was at his concert last night and he opened with Rose Garden
    and starred at Selena the entire time

• badabababa

Am I the only one that thinks Joe
    is the only brother who’s good for
    nothing but his looks?

Kevin’s a guitar genius and Nick’s a
    mastermind/genius when it comes to song
    writing.

um yes you are the only one.

joe is VERY VERY talented, hes not ‘only good for looks’. he has a great voice, unbelieveable charisma, undeniable stage prescence, and acting skills as well.
    and i love kevin with all my heart, but you can’t call him a guitar ‘GENIUS’ then say joe is good for nothing.

• Ellie

Emma said:

OH MY CATFISH ON A STICK. I LOVE YOU.

Ugh, I agree. Some of you Nelena/Niley people are really pathetic.

• Joanna.

splashme said:

i think nick thinks of her and still cares about selena it took 8 months to make the lyrics and everything and it was 4 months after ther breakup and that before the storm shit whos next? cant wait to hear a nourtney song

————————

THIS SO MUCH.

• splashme

nick has the personality of a stuffed dildo so of course its about them LMFAO! and he doesent even havE THAT MANY FRIENDS I MEAN COME ON!??!?!??!?!?! MIDDLE AGED BAND AND GARBO PUHLEAAAAAAAAAAASE ;’)

i think rose garden is about selena
    and olive & an arrow is about miley.

even though i really don’t give a shit WHO its about, because their good songs.

• splashme

what so much??

• Mercedes

after hearing some of the songs, i’m excited for his album. ^.^

• sarah

Not to sound mean at all, but i think everyone needs to stop analyzing which songs are about his past relationships. Miley, Selena, blah blah. Just enjoy the music he’s put out and stop over-analyzing it.

With that, I think this is the best thing in the world. I’ve heard most of his songs and every single one is great. He’s outdone himself on this one(:

• sarah

All you fans who think you’re above everyone else make me sick! Like ‘omg grow up they can be friends’
    You said the same thing about Niley when they went to that cafe, then he payed her a little visit and we all know something went on there.

I’m not saying there’s something going on with Nelena but don’t start looking down on people just cos they do :\

• ammanda

this song is about miley. i was at the concert last night and before he preformed this song he gave a speach about a “friend” and it was clear he was talkiong about miley

Olive and an arrow lyrics:

we’ve never been into honestly
    but promise me you’ll let me know
    when your lying
    she wants to be an eagle
    when shes high she can fly
    no matter what she was trying

she’ll be the perfect woman
    then she’ll change suddendly
    you wanna cry from the feeling
    shes got a heart of gold but
    every now and again she’ll turn to grey
    abd you know she gives me

An olive then an arrow in the back
    she leaves me brethless
    then she kicks me while im down
    she leaves me hoping that my love wont show
    cause i know she’ll give me
    an olive and an arrow

she doesnt like to worry but shes afraid of everything around her
    im just another photo
    that made its way on her page
    somehow i stayed but it wont be long

An olive then an arrow in the back
    she leaves me brethless
    then she kicks me while im down
    she leaves me hoping
    that my love wont show
    cause i know she’ll give me
    an olive and an arrow

• sarah

not to sound mean at all, but i think everyone needs to stop analyzing which songs are about his past relationships. miley, selena, blah blah. you should just enjoy the music he’s put out and stop over-analyzing it.

with that, i think this is the best thing in the world. i’ve heard most of his songs and every single one is great. he’s outdone himself on this one(: i’m sure everyone is very proud of him, including myself.

Tell me again how is this a break up record. He said it was a bridge between the two sounds as in between the JB sound and the NJ and the administratino sound.

Then he goes on to tell everything they are doing this year and how they will be make another record.

Where does anyone see breakup except someone once again looking for drama and rumor and lie versus truth.

u should come to the castle in lexington, ky :) its rly pretty haha!

• splashme

!!!!!!!!!

Selena left?

nick said rose garden was about maya. so FAIL on the selena bull
    I think it’s Maya too.

No way is it about Maya, how insensitive would that be..’ And her daddy didn’t stay’
    Maya’s dad died, like Nick would write that!

I’m not a Nelena fan and tbh it doesn’t matter who its about but it’s gotta be Selena. All that matters is it’s an amazing song!

• blingbling

100thhhh

Does anyone have the words to Nick’s song Olive and Arrow?

omg i’m really getting sick of people thinking that Nick’s only inspirations are Selena and Miley.. the kid is 17 years old and has traveled the world he has more than 2 people in his life he could write a song about!!!
    ______________________________________

THIS.

Am I the only one that thinks Joe
    is the only brother who’s good for
    nothing but his looks?

Kevin’s a guitar genius and Nick’s a
    mastermind/genius when it comes to song
    writing.

If Joe starts acting, I hope he takes
    a few acting lessons first.
    *cough*from*cough*selena*cough*

• Emma

Nick is amazing, i have alot of respect for him :]
    But i want Joe to come out with a single along side Nick …

_________________________________________

Yeah, that’d be cool.
    But Joe doesn’t want to that, that’s not his passion or his dream.
    So I’m cool with the kid just doing what he wants to do :)

• fer sure

pssssh joe is a mean tamborine player!

• badabababa

rafaela said:

have you guys heard his songs?
    state of emergency is AMAZING.
    and the chorus is like. wow

hes honestly the best with or without joe and kevin

nick can pull of his solo proyect. any day.

i agreee.
    it makes me sad to say this,
    but i like nicks new sound much better.
    i guess its just a personal preference for me,
    but also he just seems so IN HIS ELEMENT performing with his little solo project.
    i loved it, i was truly blown away.
    i still love the jonas brothers,
    but i couldn’t believe how talented nick was.
    his songs were so amazing.

What was up with Nick last night?
    He’s not focus and he kept looking up…

at 0:22

Yeah, we got it. He was busy looking at the motherfvc*ing balcony.

Now lets actually praise some of his good music ok?

What was up with Nick last night?
    He’s not focus and he kept looking up…

at 0:22

• ericabbyx22

Shit you people are so insensitive,
    yesterday was Nick’s big night and all
    you bithces kept making it about fucking
    Nelena and Niley.

So immature, holy shit I reckon it’s
    a bunch of 12 year old running this site.

AWESOME JOB NICK, you are creatively
    talented and I see a grammy in your
    future. Behold the next John Mayer :D

I know, seriously.
    But the Niley haters actually made
    niley a trending topic. They brought
    it upon themselves.
    But we do need to recognize Nick,
    without talking about selena or miley.

Shit you people are so insensitive,
    yesterday was Nick’s big night and all
    you bithces kept making it about fucking
    Nelena and Niley.

So immature, holy shit I reckon it’s
    a bunch of 12 year old running this site.

AWESOME JOB NICK, you are creatively
    talented and I see a grammy in your
    future. Behold the next John Mayer :D

Oh ya, I totally forgot that Nick have super powers and could search for just one person in the whole crowd up there *sarcasm*
    come on guys. He’s just 17, it doesn’t mean he’s God or that he’s from Kripton, just let’s get focus on how the music he writes sound.
    I recognize I’m a Niley obsessed but I just realized he can be a good musician without talking about his relationships. Let’s give him a try and just listen to his songs wihout thinking about who are for.

So it’s “disguising” the meaning of the song to change Selena’s age from 6 to 9 in Rose Garden?

Even though I’m not obsessed (no offense), I wouldn’t want to break up. They’d lose that brother dynamic to me.

ROSE GARDEN=NELENA!!!!!!!!!!!!

well yeah bt thats not what hes saying hes saying selenas mum had her when she was 16 and her dad left when she was young. kinda obvious guys!!!

‘Rose Garden’ being the first one, I think it did have a personal connection with me, but it was also a story I was trying to tell, a story that, yes, I did feel a connection to personally.”_Nick

What? So his mom got pregnant at a young age?

• Courtney

i think its about Maya cuz Maya is like his best friend

why does it have to be his mom. also you realy have to decode his lyrics he got his inspiration frm elvis costello. it’s not easy at al to guess what he’s talking about

• HOLAA

does nick have a concert tonight?
    X]

• MZ

He’s so incredibly talented. Nuff said.

ericabbyx22 , your icon is breathtaking.

Do you know what’s the original pic?

@gossipfasho posted this months ago!

‘Who I am’ is amazing!

• Hilary

He’s so incredibly talented

• JONAS <3

I LOVE NICK JONAS <333

Don’t tell my tart
    My achey fakey tart
    I just don’t think she’d understand
    And if you tell my tart
    My achey fakey tart
    She might grow up and kill me, man…

• xoxokatie8

nick jonas is adorable;]

• Gurl

uh I want to go to a concert but that won’t happen so whatever I don’t care.

• Run Jonas Run

Jonas brothers and njata rock!!!

• Gabby

i love nick jonas (:

I think the reason people keep assuming rose garden is about selena is because its th eonly person they know who has a similar story.

They are so ignorant of the fact that nick has people in his life besides the ones we know..etc miley/selena/demi/disney..

to people saying he was looking at selena are dumb. she wasnt they only one up there!

• ilovemusic

He is so musically gifted it’s not even funny.

but those were his only two real girlfriends. so….

• Joanna.

nick said rose garden was about maya. so FAIL on the selena bull
    ________________________________
    Proof or it never happened.

• Dangerpears.

Nick is amazing, i have alot of respect for him :]
    But i want Joe to come out with a single along side Nick …

WhoIam said:

That’s fucking sick couple. sick as
    in I’d gag, I can only see them
    as friends with benefits other than
    that….NO!

• splashme

• WhoIam

Trufax.
    what does that mean? lol

_Tiger_ said:

NELENA IS BACK GUYS !!!!!
    Demi is not sick . I am sure she is faking it
    Can you get me their phone numbers? Ya’ know, since you know them so well.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH

• Charlotte-x-

I kinda thought it was Maya, his best friend. Her mum was young when she had her too, I think. And her dad died which counts as leaving, right?

2010 YEAR OF NELENA,
    ________________________

no.its not.

Its the year selena should work on her singing.
    The year nick should stop reusing girls.
    The year Miley will be who she is.

The year I stop caring about disney couples like a tweenie.

• LaughALot:D

uuuhhmmm cool:)
    but keep me thinking more about
    Rose Garden:O

• WhoIam

Why should they leave? they’re stating
    their opinion, what can’t handle
    a little truth? hmm….
    because this post is about nicks interview i never knew this post was about nelena, seriously. the nerve some people have -.-

• Ellie

Ahhh :) He’s so beautiful. It sounds like a weird way to describe him, but he truly is.
    I know a lot of people here won’t have any idea who I’m talking about, but I think he and Matt Thiessen (from Relient K) should write a song together. Like Nick, Matt took a bit of time away from his band and made a side project- Matthew Thiessen and the Earthquakes. He made some incredible music with a really different sound.
    For Relient K’s newest record, ‘Forget and Not Slow Down’, Matt (who, like Nick, is the lead songwriter of his band) retreated in isolation for about two months and just wrote songs. I think he stayed in a cottage near a lake and wrote hundreds of songs.

I know that doesn’t seem like it has much to do with Nick/the Jonas Brothers, but I believe that if Nick and even his brothers did something like that, they’d have unbelievable inspiration, and their songs would be really insightful and meaningful. Not that they aren’t already, but… yeah. Matt and Nick have a lot in common, haha. :)

• hpaddictedx

nick said rose garden was about maya. so FAIL on the selena bull
    I think it’s Maya too.

• heycasey

I’m glad Nick’s getting to release this record.
    It’s funny how his career has come full circle. He started out solo, and now he’s doing a solo project again.
    I hope he has more luck this time.

• livindalife

It can be expensive to be a Jonas Brothers fan.

LOL.