Nick Jonas‘ DASH Recipe: I’ve been living on my own for about a year, and I’m not the most talented chef, I can make a great sandwich, but it’s my brother Joe who’s amazing in the kitchen. So my mom, Denise, makes me this casserole, my favorite meal growing up, whenever she feels I need some home cooking. I
first watched her make this when I was 5, and was apprehensive since I’d never liked cottage cheese, I think it was the texture thing. But as soon as I tried it, the love affair started, and it quickly became breakfast, lunch, and dinner for me.
The eggs & cheese are perfectly matched it’s like an omelette only thicker. And I have type 1 diabetes, which is managed by insulin delivery, but I still try to go w/ low-carb options like this. I get really excited when my mom brings it over.
1 stick (½ cup) butter
2 egg whites
½ cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 (8-oz) cans diced green chiles
1 quart (4 cups) cottage cheese
½ cup mascarpone cheese
1 lb shredded Monterey Jack
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Place butter in a 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Place pan in oven until butter is melted. Pour half the butter into a small bowl and set aside.
3. Beat eggs and egg whites lightly in a large bowl. Stir in flour, baking powder, chiles, all cheeses, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
4. Pour egg mixture into baking pan. Pour reserved butter evenly over the top.
5. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F and bake 35 to 40 minutes or until casserole is set.
1. You can make this dish in advance and reheat it, covered, in a 325°F oven until hot.
2. Spice things up with a dab of green chile enchilada sauce or your favorite salsa.
3. A tossed green salad is a great accompaniment for this casserole.
Serves: 12. Per Serving: 440 calories, 9g carbs, 27g protein, 34g fat, 240mg cholesterol, 730mg sodium, 0g fiber