Miley Cyrus LOL ‘Bombs’ @ Box Office

Full201009081109397548891_ashley-greene-miley-cyrus.jpgx_
Miley-Cyrus-LOL-Lionsgate

Miley Cyrus‘ film ‘LOL’ made a total of only $46,500 this weekend, Movie City News estimates. That is just a few hundred dollars more than what ‘Marvel’s The Avengers took in per theater: $46,100, according to MCN. LOL appeared in only 105 theaters nationwide, but ‘LOL’ made less per-theater ($440) than any other film in conventional U.S. theaters this weekend.

Box office analyst: ‘My guess is Lionsgate had test screenings that were catastrophic.’ There was no premiere and Miley did no interviews with major outlets for ‘LOL.’ ‘Miley Cyrus has a real image problem. Basically she’s been undone by ‘Saturday Night Live’..people don’t take her seriously.’

Boxoffice.com editor: ‘It definitely doesn’t bode well for Miley Cyrus’ career. This comes as something of a surprise because ‘ The Last Song’ proved that she could be a draw outside of ‘Hannah Montana.’ After this, she’ll have to ditch the family-friendly stuff and go for something a little more edgy if she wants to stay relevant.’ Did anyone see it? It actually doesn’t look that bad..

• m

She didn’t even promote it on twitter.
    No wonder it flopped.

It’s Miley’s fault.

• EarthChild

It’s not Miley’s fault she wasn’t allowed to talk about the film and lions gate didn’t care about the movie they threw it under the bus, this could have been big but lionsgate is stupid their pass movies havnt even made over 40 million besides hunger games and their lucky they got that film. I love miley and she deserved better not a lame limited release.

I agree completely.

• EarthChild

She didn’t even promote it on twitter.
    No wonder it flopped.

It’s Miley’s fault.

But she did promote it on Twitter…

This movie doesn’t seem like a bad remake or movie, in general. I agree with all other comments. This movie was poorly promoted, whether on purpose or not. Neither Demi, Miley, or any other actors have had any prominent interviews about the upcoming movie, and the producers/film company waited so damn long for this movie to premier.

I actually thought the movie didn’t look too bad. It’s nothing new, it seems like a regular teenage coming of age rom-com, but those usually do well. It definitely needed better promotion, on both Miley and the production companies part. Better luck next time.

• SubwayToVenus

That sucks but it was obvious it was going to happen :/

They had Miley Cyrus on it, they could have made a lot of profit out of her, regardless her bad acting, if they had realeased it last year, when Miley was still somehow popular.
    Not to mention Demi Moore… If they had done it before her breakdown, this movie would have done better.

I’m not interested in watching it, but it could’ve been bigger than this.

it’s a shame, i actually wanted to see this movie
    but since i didnt see any advertising for it how was i supposed to know it was being released?

i heard its because lionsgate put all their effort into the hunger games and not into any other movie … hm.

• EarthChild

I’m not interested in watching it, but it could’ve been bigger than this.

They should have released it last year sometime and promoted it better, and it would have done fairly well like you said. No wonder Lionsgate has financial issues, they don’t know how to make smart moves with their movies. They are lucky they got The Hunger Games.

I wanted to see it but they didn’t show it in NY :(

• EarthChild

“Thank u so much for everyone who went to see LOL. It is a film I loved making and I am proud of…. That’s really all that matters to me. ?”
    Well I’m glad that she enjoyed making it and is proud of it regardless of box office figures.

• EarthChild

I wanted to see it but they didn’t show it in NY :(

They didn’t show it anywhere near me either :/

I think this movie sucks, it’s just the tipical teen movie blah

eh. i had no interest. looked like crap and i would not spend $7 on it when there’s a few big movies out at the moment.

wasnt her mom like one of the assistant directors or something?

Is MileyIsASkank a boy or a girl cause I’ll type a very long great true novel about it.

• anons

Don’t blame lion gate i went to see this movie all excited and shit i hate it… the plot was whack it was lame… i am not excited for so undercover Lions gate is smart not giving this shit promo

I really wanted to see this movie and have been excited since they started making the movie but it’s not out in Texas…I love chick flicks! Im really excited for Spring Breakers with Selena Gomez though:) I hope LOL at least hits DVD everywhere

LOL xD

I get mileys tweets sent to my phone and I got like one tweet that was talking about LOL the rest are about her doggs! Im so over this if she doesnt care about her career neither do I !

LOL delusional fans saying it didnt flop it did flop this is flopping Ive seen movies with no promo and open in less than a hundred theatres do better LOL

• ParaMonster

Ha. I knew it’d bomb. Miley’s career is over.

• MileyIsASkank

NOBODY CARES ABOUT THIS UGLY SLUT ANYMORE EXCEPT FOR A FEW BRAINWASHED LOSERS ON THIS SITE

• l?veislouder

Shitty haters are gonna say Miley was terrible and that’s why it flopped, stans are gonna blame Lionsgate, and the uninformed will say it’s because Miley didn’t do anything to help it:
    A actress, even say Angelina Jolie, can’t promote a film by herself, especially when its backing company won’t give the okay for promotion.
    That covers about everything.

this is a good reaction to “LOL”s poor release: http://surfme.wordpress.com/2012/05/07/miley-cyrus-lol-movie-made-46500-at-the-box-office-this-weekend/
    fucking Claudia won’t care though, because she’s so unintelligent and so full of hate, she’ll just see “Miley” and a less-than-stellar release and throw a party on how much of a “fail” Miley is -____-
    lol, let’s just wait and see how “Springbreakers” does.

• swift2007

i wanted to see it but its not even coming to NY -_-

Idiots saying it would have done well had Miley promoted it. The article said Lionsgate did test screenings which went horribly AKA it sucked. Regardless of promotion by her or not, it was bound 2bomb

• SelenaComesNaturally

Let’s hope her music does better than this…

If not, she can just retire. She has enough money to do so, and chill until she’s old. Her acting is simply mediocre to put it lightly.

• bleach

It’s amazing! :D

ikr? i could gif the entire live at reading dvd, they all look way too fucking good. awhhh gaaawd

• BrokenArrow

isnt that obvious? No premiere, no promo, just selected theaters..

• BrokenArrow

MileyIsASkank said:

And obviously you, gosh it’s really sad how stupid haters are, they call themselves loserd and dont even realise that..

sooooo true. there was negative scandal on all of the movies big stars when they wanted to release it. also if you want to watch miley behave inappropriately, smoke cigs, make out with other girls, ect., you really dont need to see this movie. google search is alot faster and cheaper.

thecat61 said:
    Haters will hate. Saw the movie tonite (5/7)and I loved it so did my friend. How does a movie make money with no promotion and only released in 102 theaters. Miley did this movie because she loved the script and the producer and that’s all that matters to her. Will go see it again tomorrow!
    ==

Where do you live?! I really want to see this film!

her career is over

I knew this was going to happen. First off, they didnt even promote this movie’ the only way to know it was out was to look online or actually go to the movie theater. And of course no one is going to see avengers and then say oh im going to see LOL. like i think this was set up for it to fail. I mean not one commerical or anything? smh. im still going to go see it

• thecat61

• thecat61

102 theaters compared to 3,000 – 4,000. Do the math.

• sahina91

well there was never any promotion for it as Lionsgate were too fussed about other big movies.

• SmellsLikeTeenSpirt

This is glorious.

• SmellsLikeTeenSpirt

This is glorious.

• NirvanaSmells

It was bound to happen. I mean, I think Real Miley fans were the only one who probably watched this. I love Miley, really, but this movie wasn’t promoted enough. Maybe it had the potential, idk but it was gonna happen. I could literally forsee it. No biggy. I mean, yes, it has Demi Moore and Ashley Greene but it just wasnt promoted enough :(

PS: She looks funny in the second pic.. Like a screaming monkey trying to rip somebody’s hair off xD

• bleach

omg who the fuck would go see LOL when the avengers are available? well, let’s just say those who didn’t get a seat at the avengers hahahaha

• bleach

weeeeeeeeeeep i can see my icon nowwwwwwww

Lionsgate thought that it would do great because at the time they had popular grat ppl. Ashley greene was with Joe Jonas. Miley was popular and demi was married to ashton..they dropped it because JOE BROKE UP WITH ASHLEY, MILEY BECAME A BIGGER WHORE AND DEMI HAD A BREAKDOWN. done.

• NirvanaSmells

bleach said:
    weeeeeeeeeeep i can see my icon nowwwwwwww

WOWWWWW :O I love it :D AMAZING :D I love Bleach better then Nevermind.. But Then, I love both of them.. :) Where did u get it??

This year will prove to be the final nail in Miley’s career’s coffin. She ditched Hannah Montana too quick instead of trying to convert her fans like Britney did. Now she’s turned into a complete anti-fame hippy freak who, instead of promoting and pushing forward with her career, is spending her time looking unwashed and half dressed around Toluca and Studio City because she’s too “real.” The penis cake pictures, the bong, appearing on the comedy show that’s destroyed her ability to be taken seriously… Seriously, what was the point of her trying after Hannah Montana Forever is she decided to act like an idiot? She knew when pictures and videos of her are taken they’ll go online, so she clearly planned this. But unlike the “unfortunate” “leaked” pictures that popped up in the midst of Hannah Montana, nobody cares anymore. Her fan base have shifted to either Bieber, Selena or onto older stars like GaGa or Katy Perry.

It’s a pity, I was sure she’d outlast Gomez, even if she’s made more bank than Selena ever will. Here’s hoping she doesn’t smoke through her some 100 million before she turns 21.

• Still Anonymous

Well that’s what happens when some genius decides Utah should be the staple state for release. Not only was released in limited theaters, but they ONLY released it in west-bubble fuck.

I’m in NY and it wasn’t on the East Coast at all. I’m so mad about Lionsgates promotions of it as well. When the only way to see the trailer for it, is by searching for it online, that’s a problem. Miley tweeted about it and so did all of the other stars, as well as friends and family. But obviously twitter can only do so much, when most of your fans don’t live where the movie is being released. This one is Lionsgates fault entirely, and not a big surprise to any of us.

• SmellsLikeTeenSpirt

bleach said:

weeeeeeeeeeep i can see my icon nowwwwwwww

It’s amazing! :D

I would have gone to see it had it been released near me I love Miley I bet DVD sales will be high bc there are a lot of people who would have seen it given the option

I think she needs to not star in the next movie she does she needs to play a supporting role in a serious film that has a bigger box office star than her. And if she could do that really well I think people might be able to see her in a different light. But she’s not in a position to carry a movie right now.

• input

There really wasn’t any promotion for this film at all zero tv commercials, no internet ads, no trailer or teasers in movie previews or any advertising for this film whatsoever for this film, just a internet trailer on youtube and fans promoting it thru twitter.

If you all seen the Hunger Games in theaters you should know you did not see a LOL trailer during the previews, had Lionsgate done that it could have helped but they didn’t do that.
    When I saw a film in theaters on Christmas break in 2009 I saw a trailer for The Last Song during the previews and TLS was a moderate success in the box office. Shame this film had little promotion it needed.

• Molls

I never saw any promotions for it and it’s not playing in any theaters near me. Maybe audiences didn’t respond well to the test screenings.

I doubt that Lionsgate would not promote it if they saw any chance of success… Some fans needs see that Miley wasn’t sucessfull with anything after her ditched her good girl image. The Last Song was her last moderate sucess and it was before the bong video, cant be tammed phase, penis cake. When she ditched her good girl image she ditched her fan base. She needs starts all over again.

May 7, 2012 @ 08:10 pm
    EarthChild said:
    Bieber did this all the time. And it worked for him.

Bieber also had a lot of promotions for his movie so it was already all in your face anyway.
    Bieber is nobody without his twitter. But Miley’s public is different

May 7, 2012 @ 06:47 pm
    anons said:
    MIGRATE HERE

no1curr

UPSSSSS OCEANUP

Now, guess what?… FUCK YOU

a proud Smiler

The Web site http://www.theimproper.com/39326/miley-cyrus-lol-cast-shafted-lionsgate
    which normally attacks Miley actually has a truthfull solid reason for the Films failure, backed by facts. Bottm line Lionsgate became a blockbuster company and small films like LOL were no longer on thier radar for promotion. It however did not help that Miley chose to do a concert tour at the very time that LionsGate wanted to orginally release the film using Miley high popularity to atract viewers even if the film was bad. But they had to delay it so long so long that circumstance change as far as the earning potential of the film, at least as far as Lionsgate was concern so they decide to not promote it and let it die a slow death and hope for the best in DVD and TV proceeds to get back the 11 million it took to make it, which to Lionsgate at the time is small potatoes considering Avengers, and Twilight, and Hunger Games are now all under Lionsgate umbrella family of films.

Lionsgate probably had problems getting advertisers because the images of the two protagonists is burned

She had little success after the bong scandal The Australian leg of the Gypsy Heart Tour were sold out concerts and she earned a Guinness record which is quite impressive. But yeah I think she’s trying to start over again, she has new management which is what I’ve heard.

Yeah.. especially Demi Moore’s because of the divorce from Ashton..

Vote For Roshon on DWTS! 1-800-868-3405

Miley sucks dick

• asdfghjhgfd

I’m not interested in watching it, but it could’ve been bigger than this.

THIS^

• xFireBomb

I didn’t even know it came out this weekend.lol

• asljtflkeawr

SelenaComesNaturally said:
    And can someone please kick that Claudia girl out of here.

I love Selena to death, but that chick is just annoying. She reminds me of how Beliebers are with Selena (and that’s bad).

Agreed
    Even some Selena fans here don’t like her

It would’ve least made more money if the film wasn’t released the same week at The Avengers, heck maybe even better if they released on a Wednesday..

Hey someone wanna talk? I’m fun to talk to! I promise ;)

———————
    I’m talking more about America. I think she is still sucessfull outside USA. But she needs gain America back. It’s her country that she loves and it’s important to her to be accepted in her hometown. it affects her self-esteem.

If she promoted the movie on her twitter like ALOT like constant endless tweeting saying ‘SEE MY MOVIE!!! SEE MY MOVIE!!!’ it would’ve made her look desperate

• kristin6410

They didnt have it in my movie theatre not freaking fair i was waiting for this forever … guess i will just have to wait for dvd

ohh okay I see, yeah I agree.

May 7, 2012 @ 07:58 pm

————————
    Bieber did this all the time. And it worked for him.

Avengers is Disney owned ironically enough.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOLI LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOLI LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOLI LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOLI LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOLI LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOLI LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOLI LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOLI LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOLI LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOLI LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOLI LOL LOL MOVIE SUCKS ASS SHIT

• EarthChild

Bieber did this all the time. And it worked for him.

Lol people say it was marketing (which is a factor) but have you seen the movie? Lol even the trailer looks horrible, Miley needs to work on her acting, it was apparent that she was acting(that’s not a good thing) she needs to stick to singing.

• You’reMyKryptonite

they pick the randomest fucking places to show the movie, obviously it won’t do well. So many people wanted to see it, but they’re not showing it in enough places.

Miley doesn’t have an image problem, at least not one that damaged this movie. I had no idea the film had been released till I clicked on this article, as I bet a lot of people didn’t, and Lionsgate obviously buried this under Avengers. She isn’t Sarah Palin–SNL did NOT do anything to her image that hasn’t long been out there.

Well, we all saw it coming so there is no real disappointment. Shitty movies make shitty profit…

But wait. It’s not just Miley’s movie. Ashley Greene(who dat?) is in it to haha

• EarthChild

Is this a surprise? I actually think that this movie COULD have done well and been in the top 5 just because of Miley and Demi in it, but Lionsgate didn’t want to promote it and waited so long to release it. I honestly hope Miley never does another film with them because they seriously BSed with this movie. It could have drawn people if promoted properly and released in more than 100 theaters. Lionsgate just pretty much wasted over a year before releasing it and had to hurriedly release it on a weekend that a huge movie was coming out. There was no commercials or trailers put into theaters for it. Sometimes it is the actresses fault, but I really believe a lot of this had to do with Lionsgate’s lack of interest in the film.

its all cuz the bad marketing it has nothing to do with miley

• AcidPinkLemonade

EarthChild said:

=====================================
    True, but Miley didn’t fight for it either.

• heckyeahjobros

I really wanna watch this, but there’s something that’s telling me that this will not be as good as the original.

& it doesn’t matter if lionsgate didn’t promoted, miley fans knew it will be realesed, i really wanna watch it, but maybe it won’t come out here in mexico :/

Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

• EarthChild

True, but Miley didn’t fight for it either.

She’s tried promoting it the past month or so on Twitter since the release date was made official but I don’t know how she could have fought it when a company makes a decision like that. I don’t see how any actress could fight that.

• EarthChild

I love the original so I’m interested to see how she played the role. I’ll probably look for it on the internet. You might can find it online.

According to several other sites, sales numbers for this movie are not being released. Any estimates of numbers for this movie are not proven. Neither Box Office Mojo, or The Numbers which are the two main trackers of movie ticket sales, have no reports at all on this movie as far as sales go which give creedance to the reports from other web site that the numbers are not being reported.

=

That’s what I’ve heard too…

• Liam

Miley sucks dick

She sure does suck mines. You wish you could suck one.

• l?veislouder

———————-
    Sounds like petty payback on Liongate’s part. Completely unprofessional and so immature of them.

Eddie Murphy’s A Thousand Words flopped and his movie was released by Lionsgates, the movie was filmed in 2008 and released this year lawlz

It’s all about promotion. LOL had Miley, Demi Moore, AND Ashley Greene, with that kind of star power it easily could’ve pulled in more but with little to no promotion and few release locations, it just wasn’t being pushed :/

• SavvySays

What star power? Outside of Twilight, no one cares about Ashley Greene and Demi hasn’t made a solid movie in years. And the only reason “The Last Song” did well is because it was a Nicholas Sparks movie. Miley is not a big draw. I’m sure they thought Miley would rake in the big bucks, but what’s left of her fan base is uninterested. $440 per theater, even with The Avengers and no marketing, is embarrassing.

• EarthChild

I don’t think that Miley’s career is over just yet, but she has to be marketed correctly…something Lionsgate didn’t do and didn’t really care to do. So glad she has new management.

• James

105 theatres? Come on. That’s nothing. This movie should be on more theatres.

• pwnyaass

MileyIsASkank said:

Hmm I think that loser just so happens to be you! Ohhh

• Tatia

Don’t be Stupid..
    There were Miley, Demi, Ashley and Adam Sevani in this movie. All of them could get tons of fans. Teenagers love watching movies about their broblems, drinking, sex, boys.
    Lions Gate could do a really good commercial for it using fun or scandalous scenes. But they decided not to, cuz they were so busy with The Hunger Games. Im 100 per cent sure, they could get, at least 2-3 millions, without really trying hard, buy selling the movie everywhere and promoting it normally, at least on youtube..
    They acted really stupid and they lost a lot of money on shooting it.. So yeah it has nothing to do with the actors..

• Tatia

Even if the movie is very bad, you still can sell it well on an opening weekend with a good promotion. Not everybody watches trailers or reads reviews they would just simply look at the poster and go to the movies.. like in small towns.. They simply had to sell it in all the states in small towns not only in big ones.

Lets face it whaever Lions Gate did was very stupid

The wino’s who came to the matinee where this horrendous movie was showing in order to escape sub-zero temperatures and sleep decided to go back outside and freeze to death instead.

• SelenaComesNaturally

And can someone please kick that Claudia girl out of here.

Well the original movie was amazing… So ut cant be shitty. I wish this film would be out in canada… And yes i saw it coming… There was NO promo for the movie so basicalt not that much people knew about it…

It actually did good. It was the third most viewed film in the US, I think it’s good because it had NO promotion, so yeah. Miley is the HBIC

• SelenaComesNaturally

t actually did good. It was

• TEXT%
  • , I think it’s good because it had NO promotion, so yeah. Miley is the HBIC

lol no. I don’t think it was even top 20.

• EarthChild

That covers about everything.

lol, let’s just wait and see how “Springbreakers” does.

This article sums everything up.
    I’ll be shocked if Springbreakers goes wide release, right now I can’t see it doing that.

“just a few hundred dollars more than what ‘Marvel’s The Avengers took in per theater: $46,100″

Well at least that’s a bit of some success! lol

Its debatable to say it bombed and flopped because the film played in just 100 theaters in only 8 different states, no red carpet premiere, no tv appearances or interviews on tv regarding this movie, just fans promoting it through the internet, Lionsgates is to blame for this & of course it was released the same weekend the anticipated Avengers film was released

Even though it had no promotion at least it made some money, I think this is the exact usual amount of money a movie would make in limited release w/ no promotion.

• l?veislouder

swift2007 said:
    i wanted to see it but its not even coming to NY -_-
    —————————–
    Seriously? You’d think it’d come to New York, of all places.

How they blame SNL for Miley’s “undoing”-she did it all to herself. Plus Demi Moore and Ashley Greene are in this movie, too, they helped dig the hole it sank into.

• truth~

gorgeousselena is illiterate or acts like she is and is of course we all know she’s heartless and disgusting inside out with her atrocious comments but whatever she can get what comes to her.