Demi Lovato Cosmopolitan HONESTY

demihonest-2

Credit: DemiBrasil. FULL article under!

Outspoken. Brutally honest. Undeniably fearless. If Demi isn’t already one of your favorite pop stars, she will be after you read this.
Casually leaning back in a booth at a trendy New York City Restaurant, Demi Lovato is trying to sum up the past 18 months of her life. “So much has happened, and I’m really glad it’s over.” she says, running a hand through her long hair. “It’s been tough, but I’m really excited to be in a more healthy, positive place.” Of course she’s referring to her stay at a treatment center at the end of 2010, where she sought help for an eating disorder and where she was diagnosed as being bipolar.
While that stuff is pretty heavy, what’s fearless about the 19 year old is that she’s been completely honest about it from the get-go. Rather than go the route of so many celebs– who either claim they’re suffering from exhaustion or release generic statements thought up by their PR team– Demi has been upfront about everything. That same openness bring rare authenticity to her songs, which are packed with emotional lyrics that resonate with her fans. Her most recent album Unbroken debuted in the Top 5 on the Billboard charts, and she is currently on tour promoting it. Then, this September, she’ll join Britney Spears, L.A. Reid and Simon Cowell as a judge on on Fox’s popular show The X Factor. In the realm of Hollywood, where so much seems manufactured and fake, Demi has managed keep both her personal and professional lives so real. “I’m very independent.” she says, “and I have a very close relationship with my fans and I am always honest with them.”

PAGEANT GIRL TURNED POP STAR
Raised in Dallas by her mother and stepfather, Demi always knew she wanted to be a performer. “I sang in my first talent show at 5 and was hooked,” she says. Her mom, a former a former country singer, was totally supportive of Demi’s dream and helped her start auditioning. In between trying out for roles, Demi participated in beauty pageants but is very insistent that they weren’t like the crazy ones on TLC. “I didn’t get a fake tan or wear extensions. I liked it because I could perform during the talent section.” she says. It was during one of those pageants that 7 year old Demi and her mom heard that the show Barney and Friends was holding a casting call in town. They decided to check it out, and she landed a role. Demi appeared on two seasons before her family moved to Los Angeles so she could pursue acting and sing more seriously. “I started auditioning for commercials and television roles. Then around the age of 14, I tested for Hannah Montana,” she says. “I wound up not getting it, but that’s how Disney learned about me. I kept reading for things, and I got a role in the Disney TV movie Camp Rock, co-starring with The Jonas Brothers, and the lead in Sonny With a Chance.” Tiffany Thornton, who costarred on Sonny With a Chance, says everyone liked Demi from the start. “The first time the cast met, she was so bubbly and very lovable,” says Tiffany. “She has this energy that draws people to her.” For the next three years, Demi worked nonstop filming her show, making two records, and touring. But being a major teen sensation wasn’t always easy. “No one ever pressured me at Disney but I did feel pressure being with the channel.” she says. “They didn’t have everyone sign contracts saying we’d wear purity rings but I think it was expected that we wouldn’t get into trouble.” Demi, who was already dealing with some secret issues, felt hemmed in and frustrated.

PROVING SHE’S UNBREAKABLE
The popstar admits that during most of her disney years, she suffered from anorexia and bullimia. “Around 12, I started getting bullied and was called fat. Soon after that, I lost like 30 pounds,” she says. “When I got a little older, I started throwing up.” Demi also began cutting herself and has admitted to partying quite a bit. It all came to a head at the end of 2010, when people close to Demi held an intervention of sorts. “My family expected me to fight them on going to treatment,” she says. “They were going to call the cops if I refused, but I went willingly.” Demi checked into the treatment center thinking she was there to deal with her eating disorder and self-harm issues, but after being evaluated, she learned she also suffered from bipolar disorder. “I felt relieved when I found out,” she says, leaning forward. “Like, I’m not completely crazy, there’s a medical reason for all of it.”
She spent three months in treatment and now says she will be in recovery forever. “It’s a daily thing; you don’t get time off from it. And if I feel myself slipping back into old patterns, I have to ask others for help,” Demi says. “which is hard for me to learn because I really like doing everything on my own.” As for going public with her problems, Demi never considered not being truthful. “Hiding it wouldn’t have been good for me or my fans, so I chose to talk about it.” she says. After she finished treatment, Demi took a few months off before pouring herself into her music. She says it felt great to get back into the studio and thinks the experience made her rethink the purpose of her career. “It’s not just about singing anymore,” she says. “I want to inspire people.” Clearly, she has. When Demi released Unbroken, there was an outpouring of support. Fans and critics applauded her frank lyrics in song like “Skyscraper,” where she sings “Go on and try to tear my down/I will be rising from the ground, like a skyscraper.” Demi’s music hits such a nerve, women regularly tweet her empowering lyrics have helped them deal with their own issues. Fellow pop star Kelly Clarkson thinks that authenticity is what makes Demi special. “She is exactly the same on and off stage. There are no surprises with her.” Kelly says. Eventually, Demi wants to get back into acting, but for now, she’s content with focusing on her music. “When I combine the two, I get overworked and that’s not fun. So for the next year, it’s all about singing. Other than that, I have no plans. I just want to see where my career takes me.”

NOW IT’S TIME FOR LOVE
Unlike her career path, Demi knows the direction she’d like her personal life to go in. “I want to be married with kids in 10 years,” she says with a grin. So what is she looking for in a future hubby? “Just a guy who makes me laugh,” she says. “Obviously, I have to be attracted to him, but a sense of humor really does it for me.” That’s pretty much where Demi’s dating qualifications end. “I don’t have many deal breakers. I’ve done so much in my life, it doesn’t feel right to judge other people. Oh, I know one quality I won’t tolerate,” she says. “I would never be with a guy who is controlling.” The star does admit that it’s been a little intimidating to date since getting out of treatment. “It doesn’t really bother me that a guy will know about my past before we even go out,” she says. “What’s more embarrassing is that his mom will already know my life.”

As we finish, Demi says she has a flight back to L.A. to catch. But she has one more thing to say about her career before she goes: “I’m making that transition into being more adult,” How does she plan to do it? She raises her eyebrows and says “I’ll probably start dressing sexier.” We’re all for that.

• xAskTaylorx

She looks old(er)…

• Icy.Darcy.Stormy

Yes, because dressing sexier is a sign that you’re ready to mature. Then why aren’t grandmas walking around in little more than g-strings? GTFO. Dressing “sexier” just means you either a.) genuinely like it, and thus, are not -trying- to dress sexier, or, b.) you’re a whore and trying to get attention.

• Icy.Darcy.Stormy

And by “it” I mean whatever you’re choosing to wear. A dress, short skirt, etc.

she’s a real chola now, curvy, whorish..

May 29, 2012 @ 12:41 pm
    Demi if you don’t shut the fuck up NOW I will burn your motherfucking property and run you over with my car. I can’t stand you anymore, at first I felt bad for you but now you’re starting to annoy the hell out of me.

She can’t shut up because she’s not talking.

what happened to the days when getting older and maturing ment dressing classy …not sexy

attention seeker!

OVEREXPOSED. She’ll go through another breakdown.

• Icy.Darcy.Stormy

One can only hope.

• Nons

I’m pretty sure I’m the only one who is not annoyed with her any more after reading this interview.

I thought she was going to talk about sex. lol

sexy doesn’t mean skimpy, maybe she’ll show a little more skin but that’s empowering, you can look classy and sexy at the same time

I thought she was going to talk about sex. lol

Lol, what does Demi know about sex?

Lol, what does Demi know about sex?

I don’t know.

Lol, what does Demi know about sex?

I don’t know.
    Neither do I.

When this bitch will shut her mouth?! I’m tired of her, she don’t deserve fame, shes so fucking annoying!

Georgeous and super talented. She’ll be bigger than Selena and Miley.

Than Queen Miles? HAHA.
    Is Demi Lovato amongst Forbes’ 25 Most Powerful Female Singers Since ’99?
    NOPE.
    Demi it’s beautiful and talented but Cyrus it’s in the major leagues. She deserves more recognition tho.

Rehab.

why dont we all stop arguing about demi and appreciate this?

how can she think that if she dresses ‘sexier’ that she’ll transition to an adult? wtf?! she’s seriously lost the plot. im disappointed in demi. she’s changed BIG time. I get that she’s growing up, but the demi in 08/09 and early 10 didn’t follow the rest of the generic trends like other singers. she wore what she wanted and was original. the black hair, no fake tan, rocking clothes etc. she never followed trends and she was comfortable in her own skin.
    if she wants to be taken more seriously in the music industry and get noticed… she should dress what shes comfortable in, make more mature songs and not the bubblegum crap of ‘youre my only shorty’ but more songs like ‘for the love of a daughter’ and be recognised for her talent… which is her voice.
    smh demi for that statement.

funny how they made out in the article that her admitting her problems to the world was better because she didnt cover it up like most celebs… but the main reason she even tells her story again and again, in countless interviews and preaches her shit… is because she tries to play a victim so people are interested in her… to which they buy her music and shit.
    lmfao she knows what she is doing. its now 2012… yet she’ll STILL talk about her rehab shit because its the only thing that made her breakout in the industry. otherwise aint no one was givin a crap before lol

i don’t know as well

really how come?

sure because the whole world is trying to please you in particular. HOW ABOUT YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Fuck you hater….people dress sexy till they have grandchildren

blah blah blah

I’m pretty sure she went through that transition when she snorted cocaine, had public sex at parties and punched someone.

she’s annoying

unique said:
    May 29, 2012 @ 04:35 pm
    DEMI >>>> SELENA >>>>> MILEY on sexyness!
    tbh,miley used to be sexier than selena but she just got to skinny lately….but damn demi can turn a girl out, girls sexy no1 can deny it…..selena on the hand is so pretty l miley is pretty too she just so skinny lately and yall talking about demi need stfu and get a fucking life! were you there at partys to know what she was and werent doing NO! do you know her personally ? NO! All you know is rumors, i can see that she annoys okay thats okay but the ones up here calling her a sniffer && saying shes not bipolar and shes a liar and shit, PLEASE SHUT THE FUCK UP! because 9 times out of 10 i bet you want say that to her face, exactly! so do everyone a favor if your a hater or dont like her dont FUCKING READ SHIT ABOUT HER DAMN! AND TO THE SUBWAYCHICK OR WATEVER THE HELL YOUR NAME IS PLEASE STFU EVERY POST ABOUT DEMI YOU HAVE SOME NEGATIVE SHIT TO SAY, BITCH PLEASE STFU YOU MADE IT CLEAR YOU DONT LIKE HER SO STOP CLICKING ON HER POST, just had to get that out…pissing me off

====

Thank you!

I stopped on Demi>>>>SELENA>>>>MILEY

a lot of bullshit in this message
    a lot of bla bla bla by lunatic

You so can see that over the half of you guys have no idea what they’re talking about. Are you bipolar or going through depressions? No? Then stfu okay? No one forces you to read her stuff or to comment it. Go and hate on someone else because Demi doesn’t deserve your shit. She’s helping a lot of people through a hard time with her honesty so I can’t see something bad about it. Show some fucking respect. And I’m not talking about the ones who said they find her annoying. That’s your opinion but stop being all rude or about a mental disease! What’s funny about it? Grow the fuck up. Seriously this is pissing me off.

That’s your opinion but stop being all rude or joking about a mental disease!**

• Clauber

She looks skinnier!

• Clauber

I love demi and all, but I don’t think that you have to ‘dress sexier’ in order to make the transition into an adult; you should dress however you feel comfortable.

THIS :D

1. Why do you people believe what is in COSMOPOLITAN?! Do you even hear yourselves? Shit.. you are gullible.

2. Bipolar disorder, like any other mental disability, comes in different stages, can start at a low and get stronger through out the ages or is just a nagging in the back of your head constantly.

the coke sniffer!

Uknouluvme do you have a tumblr

Lol it’s funny when some Miley fans talk about Demi being famous for her rehab story when Miley is known for her scandals.

ummm thats actually not even a true statement – and also if you had any common sense you would know that all psychological conditions, any medical conditions even, have different levels and affect people differently. So maybe Demi doesn’t have the most severe form of Bipolar Disorder, which she never claimed to, but she does have it. And about staying medicated all the time? How in the fucking hell would you know whether or not shes taking medication?? I dont think shes trying to tell people what pills she takes every morning with breakfast. You fuck.

• Mousketeer7

Demi is not bipolar, did you know she got sued by the Bipolar disorder association of america? Bipolar people need to stay medicated ALL THE TIME, they could even be dangerous for the society, they can even kill someone if they’re not treated correctly. Bipolar people cannot cope with being famous. She lied. Like she usually does.

Tell that to the professional who diagnosed her.

She DID admit to having bipolar disorder…so…yeah.

She lied. Like she usually does.

Miley it’s scandalous but she sold a bunch of albums at her young age, broke guiness records, was the number one artist in the country at age 13 and had sold out tours. That’s the little difference.

May 29, 2012 @ 02:23 pm

Nobody cared about Miley before her scandals. You must have hit your head perhaps.

Britney. Gaga. Madonna. Every other pop superstar around? Too much Oceanup, bb. Demi it’s the one milking the rehab situation. She barely sold two million copies of her full discography lmao

Miley got famous when she started with Hannah Montana and sold lots of albums as Hannah with a successful tour. But it was her scandals that got her more famous and to this day they are the only thing keeping her in the spotlight.

• l?veislouder

==================
    Guilty pleasure, sorry.

You got it wrong. You meant Nobody cared about Demi before her rehab drama.
    Cyrus was multiplatinum waaayyy before her ‘scandalous’ “I Can’t be tamed” days.
    Demi? Selena’s best friend and Jonas Brothers’s “sista”.

• So Lovatic,Baby

Thank you very,very,very much on this text and these pictures! It means ALOT to me. Specially cause we don’t have this new Cosmopolitan in Serbia(where am I from),but I wanted to see it so bad! :) Thank you again!?

To all of you saying Demi isn’t relevant, you truthfully don’t know JUST how relevant she is. She is unfortunately a LOT more relevant and famous than a lot of amazing talented singers and songwriters out there who aren’t even known. I honestly think that over time, her fame will increase. And this IS sad because her singing and songwriting skills are not that original.

I feel bad for her. I don’t think she goes into an interview and WANTS to be asked about her disorder, it’s going to come up regardless, and people would attack her and call her names if she said something like “i don’t want to talk about it” or “no comment”… It’s a loose-loose situation :( she gets picked on no matter what.

To those saying they are tired of her talking about her past: have you ever realized that the celebrity never picks the interview topic? That’s the interviewers job. The celeb just answers the question. So maybe instead of getting pissed off at Demi for talking about her past, get pissed at the interviewer for asking those questions.

• Mousketeer7

That cover picture is just TOO edited! I like the other pictures better than the cover.

I’m not talking about Britney, Gaga and Madonna. I’m talking about Miley and Demi. What’s the saying? “the pot calling the kettle black”?

You got it wrong. You meant Nobody cared about Demi before her rehab drama.
    Demi? Selena’s best friend and Jonas Brothers’s “sista”.

Lol at you. Can’t be tamed wasn’t Miley’s first scandals. You must be new. Miley’ s first scandals happened while with the Disney channel in 2008.

Those huge pop stars mix controversy and succesful musical career.
    Demi it’s just the rehab and the pity. Unfortunately her music career it’s not even close. Obviously, Miley it’s not Britney neither but the difference it’s that Cyrus it’s actually huge in her achievements besides her scandals.

——————-
    LOL are you serious?!? You have NO IDEA what you’re talking about. She has bipolar II disorder actually. I have it too, and I can cope in everyday life. I’m not violent. I don’t hurt other people. People with bipolar I disorder…well I’m not so sure about. But you really need to do your research. A lot of people in society will have this illness and it gets overlooked. It’s not always obvious. You don’t know Demi’s life well enough to judge.

Those huge pop stars mix controversy and succesful musical career.

Miley sold albums as Hannah and because she was Hannah Montana. Her last Cant Be Tamed album did not do as well as her previous ones. That was 2010 when Miley was still very relevant.

I’m not new. I knew the Vanity Fair shit,etc.
    What’s your point anyway at this instance?
    Cyrus it’s not who she is for her scandals if that’s what you mean. But obviously that gives you notoriety and media exposure.
    But when you look at Demi, her achievements were never relevant or outstanding, so her full character it’s “i was in rehab”.
    Not trying to be mean, cuz honestly i don’t care that much but you point it out.

DEMI JUST SHUT THE FUCK UP. NO ONE CARES. YOUR MUSIC CAREER IS A FAILURE. STOP.

She looks really hot on the cover

And Demi sold albums because she was Sonny Monroe and Mitchie Torres? That’s pointless.
    Can’t Be Tamed sold two million copies by now, of course not as much as she used to but it’s funny when you talk about it cuz that’s basically Demi’s full 3 cd’s sales. Lol.

Lol it’s not the same. Demis albums were separate to her characters while Some of Miley’s albums were actually as Hanna Montana.

FAKE

• SubwayToVenus

All I’m gonna say is this, DON’T EVEN COMPARE DEMI TO MILEY, Demi has nothing on Miley, that’s it.

I’m bipolar and i’d just like to say that idiot saying bipolar people are a danger to society clearly is talking crap. I was diagnosed 2 years ago after over a year of therapy, it’s a mental illness and there are different levels of it – some are extreme, some easier to control but either way its an illness and it’s not a joke.

• averie8

I was hoping for her to talk about something new.. Like her sex life o.O

oh screw everyone on here with bad comments she’s not a whore she doesnt go around wearing shorts that show her ass get out ok you know how many girls ive seen that wear shorts where there asses really hang out ok its annoying so go away

• xspongeboob

Why does she have to discuss her past and recovery in every interview she does? MOVE ON SISTER.

xspongeboob said:

Your icon it’s heaven and hbic <333

• SubwayToVenus

May 29, 2012 @ 03:58 pm
    xspongeboob said:

This.

she rubs me the wrong way for some reason. sorry.

Stop hating on miley! Both are good!
    miley has sold more than 15 million albuns

and demi?! the only album of her that was sold 1,3 million was Camp rock 1! and is not only by her!

so shut up miley haters! you guys always said:

Miley is a bitch, slut, demi have more talented, more voice

this is ridiculous! YOU lovatics of course will love demis voice, but society think mileys better! this is the truth! Is not me talking is everyone, is the statistics

so stop talk crap about miley ;)

^ YES! So Stop hating on miley!

You lovatics are hypocrites!
    Your idol demi always said: Don’t judge, don’t hate

and you guys are doing this with a friend of her!

May 29, 2012 @ 01:27 pm
    I thought she was going to talk about sex. lol

Lol, what does Demi know about sex?

wilmer bought a kamasutra weekender kit for them last year. Demi knows a lot about the topic…..she should share!

DEMI >>>> SELENA >>>>> MILEY on sexyness!

um no society thinks selenas better, idk why

• unique

May 29, 2012 @ 04:35 pm
    DEMI >>>> SELENA >>>>> MILEY on sexyness!

====

Thank you!

Why can’t everyone just shut the fuck up?
    If you don’t like Demi, or her talking about her struggles and issues, why are you reading stuff about her. Just seriously get a fucking life. You say she’s annoying for always mentioning her past, you guys are the annoying ones. If you don’t like Demi, don’t comment. Cause you’re ruining it for people who actually like her.

It’s so sad how much hate Demi gets. I’ll admit I don’t like her as much as I used to. I DO find her a bit annoying now. But I still think she’s talented, and I like MOST of her music. She truthfully doesn’t deserve so much hate.

• DemiLover

smh demi for that statement.
    ————————————
    WOW I TOTALLY agree with you, she should do that, instead of trying to dress like a whore

Bipolarity is a mental illness, so yeah, she does! Educate yourself on the subject, please! http://youtu.be/P3EacQ4GfiU

I am starting to think she has some kind of mental illness.

• AnonymousAND no HATER

demi lokks beautifull love all the dresses, her hair is the best out there. SAD people that come talk trash i guess is what they need so they can sleep right. haterz i dont care about miley and 4 that i wont go talk trash about her. live life dont hate, since demi is getting a little more press because of xfactor ppl cant b happy with others happiness. u 2 will b judge.

It’s just funny how people comments on these things! You guys are very amusing btw. Gave me a laugh…. lol!!! get a life everyone.

Georgeous and super talented. She’ll be bigger than Selena and Miley.

• A

Shes slowly seriously going on my nerves. Smh.

STFU DEMI.

• UKnowULuvMe

That tends to be the way the Disney girls do it…..

• UKnowULuvMe

I am starting to think she has some kind of mental illness.
    She DID admit to having bipolar disorder…so…yeah.

• ThatboyisaMONSTER

• AcidPinkLemonade

What is with teenagers, especially celebrities, thinking in order to grow up and be considered an adult, you have to dress sexily and starting singing about it? That really shows how mature they are.

• heckyeahjobros

xspongeboob said:

i just hate that there’s nothing else she can talk to but about her past and recovery, like we get that you are bipolar and you have sex with any random guy, but seriously, this only makes you look like an attention whore