Installing Custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy Gear Smartwatch
After smartphones, an era began of Tablets which was later followed by Phablets. And now, it appears like we are entering the era of Smartwatches. Samsung, last year, released its premium phablet Galaxy Note 3 along with the first smartwatch named “Galaxy Gear”. As its name suggests, it is not just a watch, but a Smart watch having 4Gb internal space, 1.9 Megapixel camera capable to record HD videos. It is powered with 512MB of RAM along with 800 MHz CPU, microphone, speaker, etc.
Now as the Galaxy Gear has so many hardwares, obviously it would be running on some OS/Rom. Do you think we can installing any other Custom ROM, like we do in smartphones and phablets? Yes, of course we can do it. In this guide, i will show you how you can install a Custom ROM in your Samsung Galaxy SmartWatch with many features such as AOSP keyboard, Google Play Store, Download Manager, multiple Bluetooth pairing, and more. This ROM also contains several bug fixes which are faced by few users running original ROM, although they will be fixed with OTA updates but it is going to take more time.
So, if you want to try out this feature packed Custom ROM on your galaxy Gear, simple follow the below process but before make sure you meet the pre-requirements:
- Make sure your galaxy Gear is charged up completely, it should not get drained during the installation process.
- Download and install Galaxy Gear USB Drivers on your computer.
- Download Odin Flash Tool and save it on your desktop.
- Download Galaxy Gear Custom Rom and save it on your desktop too.
Once you are ready with all these stuffs, lets start the installation process.
Installing Galaxy Gear Custom ROM:
- First of all restart the Galaxy Gear and wait for the boot screen. As soon as you get the boot screen, keep pressing the Power button about five times quickly. This will bring up the recovery mode.
- Now press and hold the power button for few seconds to enter Download Mode.
- Once you enter Download Mode on your Galaxy Gear, launch Odin Flash tool on desktop and connect your smartwatch with PC.
- Wait and let Odin detect the device. Once you see the button turned yellow, it means the device is connected.
- Now, you need to click the “AP” button on Odin, browse and select the download Custom ROM package. Select the same.
- Wait and let Odin install the ROM.
- On successful installation, you will see “Pass” message in Odin and galaxy Gear will reboot automatically.
That’s it. Your Galaxy Gear Smartwatch is running on a brand new Custom ROM. It may take longer time while booting for the first time, dont panic and let it boot comfortably. Enjoy your smartwatch with Note 3 or any other Samsung devices which are compatible for the same. If you come across any problem with this, do reply us.
Although we didn’t faced any problem with this custom rom, if anyone of you come across one and wondering to revert back to the original firmware, Dont worry. You can easily revert back to the Stock ROM of your Gear. Just check thos out: How to Restore back Stock Rom on Galaxy Gear : http://goo.gl/AQ14we