Update Redmi Note 5 to Android 9.0 Pie With Resurrection Remix 7 Custom ROM
Among the best selling smartphones of 2018, Xiaomi’s Redmi Note 5 Pro is one such device. It runs on Android 8.1 (Oreo) out of the box. The company announced that it would provide Android 9.0 update in 2019 but nothing is said or done about it yet. Even the latest MIUI 10 update is based on Android Oreo 8.0. On trying the Resurrection Remix 7 Custom ROM which is based on Android Pie for Redmi Note 5 Pro, the following observations were made:
- With Qualcomm Snapdragon 636, daily performance delivered is sound with a 115286 score on AnTuTu (benchmarking app). Although this score is less than that obtained on Pixel Experience which is 115397, the performance is still smooth even when multitasking.
- Resurrection Remix comes with January security patch which is now updated to February security patch. There is no bloatware and very few apps preinstalled. The internal storage is 64 GB out of which, only 10 GB is system software and the remaining 52 GB is free for the users. Jio and Airtel 4G VoLTE was found to work simultaneously without any interruptions.
- Resurrection Remix brings with it a lot of customizations with which users can personalize their device however they desire. Users can select the user interface (UI) style from dark, light or automatic with different colors and font style. This can be found under display section in settings.
To customize the soft navigation bar, users can select from Stock, Smartbar, and Fling. Apart from that, users also have an option to use Pill-based navigation or Swipe-up gestures like that on Pixel Experience. Double tap to wake up the device, double tap on status bar to lock it and slide three fingers to take a screenshot are among some of the features made available.
- You can limit the data usage with the help of app usage timers and Digital Wellbeing. To avoid disturbances, you can switch to Do Not Disturb mode.
- Fingerprint scanner works efficiently with a capacity of adding up to five different fingerprints.
- The camera is preloaded with MIUI 2.0 on this version. The interface is like any previous Xiaomi devices. Cam2API is set as default on Resurrection Remix and you can use GCam to use Portrait mode and Night sight.
- The battery performance is also very reliable. It can last for more than one day with moderate usage and one day with high usage. The charging time to go from 0 to 100% is about 2 hours 10 minutes and 0 to 60% takes just one hour. You can restrict some background apps to save power. There are different battery profiles available like Power save, Efficiency, Balanced, Quick and Performance to meet the needs of all kinds of users.
- With all these advantages, the only feature lacking in this version is face unlock.
Now when you know all the features of Resurrection Remix, you might want to get Android Pie for your Redmi Note 5 Pro, and if you do, follow the steps as given below:
1. Follow the official site to unlock bootloader of your Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro
2. Download Redwolf TWRP Recovery for Redmi Note 5 Pro.
3. Download Resurrection Remix ROM.
4. Download GApps for ARM64 platform on Android 9.0 as ROM is based on Android Pie.
5. Download ADB software for Windows and Android zip file for Mac.
1. Switch off the phone and boot it into Fastboot mode by pressing the power and volume down buttons simultaneously.
2. Connect the device to your PC by USB cable, open command prompt on your PC and navigate to where you had downloaded Redwolf TWRP Recovery ZIP.
3. Type ‘Fastboot devices’ in command prompt and check if the device is detected by the system.
4. If the system detects the phone, type ‘fastboot flash recovery redwolf_twrp_filename.zip’ and hit enter. The process will be completed in no time.
5. Switch the phone into recovery mode by pressing the volume up and power buttons simultaneously.
6. When asked to allow modifications, slide towards right to allow modifications.
7. Select ‘Wipe’ and choose ‘Adanced Wipe’, select ‘Dalvik/ART Cache’, ‘System’. ‘Data’, ‘Cache’ and then swipe right to Wipe.
8. Go back and click on ‘Install’, navigate to the location where you have stored ROM zip and GApps package, it’s better to keep these zip files on SD card or USB OTG drives. Select the ROM file and GApps package and then swipe towards the right to flash.
9. Click on ‘Reboot’ and then ‘System’, within 15 minutes device will boot with Resurrection Remix ROM.
NOTE: Unlocking bootloader and switching ROM may void the warranty of Xiaomi devices. You can do this on your risk.