While everybody is showcasing their masterpiece at the ongoing MWC 2019, how can Xiaomi stay behind. Specially when it comes to competition. After Samsung’s Galaxy S10 5G, Xiaomi has also launched its first ever 5G smartphone, named Mi MIX 3 5G. It is not only beautiful from outside but a powerhouse and that too at unbelievable price. We will talk about the pricing and availability later, first let’s take a detailed look of the phone.
The new Mi Mix 3 5G sports a impressive 6.39 inch Full HD+ AMOLED display with 19:5:9 aspect ratio offering 2340 × 1080 pixels resolution. It has 93.4% screen-to-body ratio making hardly any bezels. We get the Fingerprint sensor at the back which is Ceramic back panel. The phone comes with hybrid cooling since it is powered up with Snapdragon 855 7nm SoC with Qualcomm X50 5G modem. It is a high-tech cooling system to supports applications that requires high levels of device performance, specially while multi-player gaming or live streaming.
Although Xiaomi turned to be second to launch a 5G phone (after Samsung), but the said that Xiaomi had vision of this phone since May 2016 and they have been working on the same with a team researching on various concept of 5G networking. They were even teamed up with several 5G service providers such as Sunrise, TIM, Vodafone and others for the same. The Senior Vice President of Xiaomi Wang Xiang also justified the same, saying:
“Xiaomi has spent tremendous efforts developing a 5G smartphone solution and Mi MIX 3 5G represents Xiaomi’s quest to create innovative products for everyone. “We are also delighted and honored to be working with our partners to make 5G a reality for even more users all over the world.” Wang Xiang, Senior Vice President of Xiaomi.
Coming to other specs, Mi Mix 3 5G comes with 6GB LPDDR4x RAM accompanied by 64GB or 128GB (UFS 2.1) stoage variants. It supports Dual SIM connectivity and comes out of the box running Android 9.0 (Pie) with company’s own latest MIUI 10 custom skin.
For photography fans, the phone carries Dual AI camera setup at rear as well as on the front with a beautiful magnetic slider pop out. To launch the front camera, just pop-up the slider. It can also be used for answering calls. Talking about the camera, we get a 12 Megapixel primary rear camera with 26mm wide-angle lens, 1/2.6″ Sony IMX363 sensor, f/1.8 aperture, 1.4µm pixel size, dual LED flash, 4-axis OIS and Optical zoom that also records Ultra HD 4K videos and 960 fps slo-mo. The secondary one is 12 Megapixel camera with Samsung S5K3M3+ sensor, 1.0 µm pixel size, f/2.4 aperture and 2X zoom.
On the front facing, we have a massive 24 Megapixel shooter with Super Pixel low-light tech and Sony IMX576 sensor along with secondary 2 Megapixel DOF camera, OV02A10 sensor with customized high CRI selfie light. Both the cameras offer AI portraits, AI scene recognition and loss-less zoom. Xiaomi has has backed up the phone with 3800mAh battery with Quick Charge 4.0+ fast charging along with 10W Qi wireless charging
Xiaomi Mi MIX 3 5G Specifications:
- Android 9.0 (Pie) with MIUI 10
- Dual SIM (nano + nano) Support
- Fingerprint sensor
- 6.39 inch Full HD+ AMOLED 19:5:9 display with 2340 × 1080 pixels resolution, 103.8% NTSC Color Gamut, 60000:1 contrast ratio, 600 nits brightness
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 7nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 640 GPU
- 6GB LPDDR4x RAM with 64GB and 128GB (UFS 2.1) storage memory
- 12 Megapixel primary rear camera with 26mm wide-angle lens, 1/2.6″ Sony IMX363 sensor, f/1.8 aperture, 1.4µm pixel size, dual LED flash, 4-axis OIS and Optical zoom that also records Ultra HD 4K videos and 960 fps slo-mo. The secondary one is 12 Megapixel camera with Samsung S5K3M3+ sensor, 1.0 µm pixel size, f/2.4 aperture and 2X zoom.
- 24 Megapixel shooter with Super Pixel low-light tech and Sony IMX576 sensor along with secondary 2 Megapixel DOF camera, OV02A10 sensor with customized high CRI selfie light.
- 5G Sub6, Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11ac dual-band (4×4 MU-MIMO ), Bluetooth 5, GPS/GLONASS/Beidou, NFC, USB Type-C
- 3800mAh battery with Quick Charge 4.0+ fast charging, 10W Qi wireless charging
Pricing and Availability:
Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 5G will hit the market somewhere in mid May 2019 and will be available in two color choices, i.e. Onyx Black and Sapphire Blue. It will carry price tag of Euro €599, which is approximately £520 or US$685 or Rs. 48,500 (INR). Compared to other two 5G Smartphones Samsung Galaxy S10 5G (approx US$1500) and Huawei Mate X 5G (approx $2550), Xiaomi seems to be continuing its record of cheapest competitor. Xiaomi Mi Mix 5G seems to be the cheapest and powerful 5G phone you may get your hands on.