Rooting Android 9 Pie Phones: Unlocking Bootloader, Installing TWRP Recovery and Everything
Although its now time for Google’s new Android Q to hit the market, but still there are millions of smartphones who are still in lineup to get the Android 9 Pie update. If you are one among those, or you have just received Android 9 Pie, this guide is for you.
There are several reasons why we Root our Android phones. Obviously to unlock its hundred percent capabilities. The stock Android or custom Skins come with so many restrictions, for security purpose, but it wont allow us to do everything we want to do with our phones. In such as cases, we get to Root our phones. Below is the step-by-step procedure to do the same:
Before following the procedure, you will need to prepare your device for it. Here are some prerequisites.
- First of all, make sure that you have your phone fully charged.
- Make sure you have installed Android 9 Pie Beta on your device.
- Backup all of your data before jumping onto the final steps.
- Enable USB Debugging
- Setup ADB and Fastboot on your PC.
- Download updated TWRP Recovery for your Google Pixel device. Download the .img file and rename it to recovery.img and move it in platform-tools folder.
How To Root Android 9 Pie:
- First you will need to Boot your phone to Fastboot mode: (Switch off your phone and get it into recovery mode by holding volume up+power key).
BOOT INTO FASTBOOT USING PC:
- Connect your device to PC with the help of usb cable.
- If you are using Windows then open command prompt, and open Terminal in case of mac/linux.
- Type the command mentioned below in the performance-tool.
adb reboot bootloader (On Windows PCs)
./adb reboot bootloader (On Mac & Linux)
Booting into TWRP Recovery:
Open command prompt (for Windows) or Terminal (for Mac and Linux) on your Android 9 Pie device.
./fastboot flash recovery recovery-oreo.img (On Windows PCs)
./fastboot flash recovery recovery-oreo.img (On Mac & Linux)
Now boot into TWRP Recovery on your phone.Select “Keep read only“.
Rebooting Into Android:
Go back to TWRP main menu< Reboot < System and now you will boot into Android.
And voila!!! You have successfully rooted your pixel phone to Android 9 Pie. You can also check to confirm whether your device is rooted or not. For this purpose you have to download a third party app. The App is known as Root Checker. After installing, open it and go to the ‘Verify Root’ option. You will be displayed messages according to your rooting status.