How to Install Windows on Chromebook – Step By Step Guide
There are lots of web apps and Android apps available in the market which allows you to do so many things on your Chromebook. But after all, there are chances that you miss out certain things. Here we are providing a guide on how to use Windows on your Chromebook.
Before starting on it, there are a few important things you have to make sure that exist on your Chromebook. The important thing is misinterpreting with your system Bios, operating system and Firmware can cause serious damage to the device, which sometimes obviously not good. Before altering your device make sure to back up all your important stuff. If in case the process went wrong and you are unable to access new look on your Chromebook then you can use a flash drive to restore all your important stuff back in a device. The process will erase all your data, so make sure to save it on Google drive if in case you forget to save it on a flash drive.
There are certain methods, let’s jump to it
Using Free Online Apps
If your primary concern is to accessing apps in your device from an office suite, and the existing apps on windows don’t bother you much. Then this is the simplest and easiest method for you.
The applications are easily available on the Chrome Browser. There are certain steps to access it
- Start the chrome browser and jump to the Microsoft site
- On the site, you can find a certain application available for office online. These applications were created by Microsoft by keeping in mind the needs of professionals and student. The applications which are available for free on sites are Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Sway, Calendar and many more
- Pick the applications you want to access. The application will open on your chrome browser and you can start accessing it. However, these online applications will lack certain qualities like available in Office 365. But it is best for use.
Using Chrome Remote Desktop
The chrome remote desktop is basically an addition provided to you through which you can access another device while using your own. It is basically a virtual secondary machine which will allow you to use a different machine. But to make successful use of this method you will need another system working on windows 10 and have access to the internet so can use it without any disruption. However, these methods sometimes don’t work on some devices. There are methods to make it work on your system.
- Go to the Chrome web store and search for Chrome Remote Desktop, Download it on your Chromebook. Make sure that your system is updated
- Open the Chrome Remote Desktop extension and start working on it. The application will ask you for the device you want to connect. It will also create a code which you can email yourself.
- After that get back to your Chromebook and open the Chrome Remote Desktop. It will show the other windows computer as an option to select and connect to your device. Choose the right option then it will ask for code which you emailed yourself before. After successfully entering the code, click on connect.
It is a very useful method to access the remote computer but these methods have some drawbacks too. One of the major disadvantages is it is highly dependable on internet connection. so in case you have a poor internet connection, you can’t use it. it requires a high-speed connection.
Code weavers is a software solution which introduces us from Crossover. Basically, crossover allows you to run different operating system apps to other operating systems.
In their latest update, they also opened a window for Chromebook users. Now it will allow you to run your windows apps on Chromebooks. But hold your horses; there are certain things you have to keep in your brain while using it. The very first thing that this Chrome version is still in earlier mode, so you may observe some difficulty while using it.
The second thing it requires some special software which can be a problem for some users. Basically, the download won’t be available for everyone. As far as we know now, the software runs completely fine on Intel Based Chromebook and to access Android apps and devices, it should be Android 5.X or above. Other than this Mouse locking feature might not work.
The good news about it is that this application is free to use because of the beta version. Below are the steps to follow.
- Go to Google Play store and install Crossover on Chrome OS beta. The icon of application would appear like two semicircles on your dashboard. When you open it, it will ask permission for accessing media and files on your Chromebook. Grant the permission for better use
- In case the file install won’t work, make a copy of it in your download.
- The easiest and simplest way to use Crossover is a search for the application you want to use in the search bar on the top of the window. Many software like Quicken and DirectX all work in it. so search for anything, if it’s available it will appear in a search list.
- Every time you install something they want confirmation from you then the installation process will begin. It is necessary to pay close attention to the file so you can get access to the right file. You may also have to approve a license agreement every time.
- After the successful completion of the installation, you are able to start it. Some of the applications will require larger space, not every Chromebook will allow it. To deal with such issues, luckily we have methods to save space.
Google Altos Mode
It has been rumored that in coming days it will be much easier to use windows on Chromebook. The latest new technology will soon be going to hit the market name as Dual boot. This will be the best feature for the users. Google is working on this feature and testing is going on every day. It is assumed that if this Dual boot is ready to launch then soon Google will launch the Pixelbook 2 in the market. However, there is no official announcement yet.