Software testing refers to assessing a software application’s functionality to see if it meets the desired requirements and check to see if there are any defects or bugs by ensuring that it is producing quality work. A well-tested and smoothly running software saves the company money and maintains its reputation while offering quality products to customers. Software testing can be manually or automatically done through a test management process.
Test management refers to the activity of managing this test through the use of test management tools like PractiTest, TestRail, TestLink, Kualitee, from the beginning to the end.
Test management is a very critical process as it makes sure that high-quality software is developed. This is done through a well-organized and planned process using all the available resources. With test teams being spread out across the globe and software becoming more and more complex, there is a need for a test management process that is effective. A successful process ensures that only the best software is shipped to the customers, which increases their satisfaction and good end-user experience.
Test management process has several distinct stages, namely:
- Test Authoring
- Tracking and Reporting
Now let us discuss each step briefly.
- Planning: The process entails establishing the direction of the testing phase by breaking down the specifics of where, when, and why the test is being done. Tests are highly effective when there is a specific requirement that needs to be validated. At this stage, you also define the best test management software. It is also necessary to determine when you are best suited to implement the test and the duration this process will take.
- Test Authoring: At this stage, you put together a test team and formulate the complete test either manually or automatically, clearly outlining how it will be done. You can then capture that information in a test management tool.
- Execution: while on this phase, you effect your plan by scheduling and running the tests.
- Tracking and Reporting: using your preferred test management tool, you are required to log the results which are measured against the test metrics. This tracking process helps you in analyzing the information to see if the software is operating as intended. While reporting, you give feedback on the process and a detailed report on the quality of the software.
Having an efficient test case management process has several advantages;
- Helps you assess the strength of the test team
- Deciding whether the test requires more time than the allocated
- Choosing the best test case management tool.
Test Management Tools
Every efficient test management process relies on a working test management tool. Test management tools are utilized in storing testing information, plan these testing activities, and generating reports on the quality of these activities. They are basically used to plan and execute a manual test or gather data on automated tests. They streamline and organize the software testing process as they allow quick data analysis through the information available on the dashboards. An ideal test management tool also has collaborative tools enabling secure communication for the teams involved in the testing process.
It is also essential for a test management tool to be reusable across other projects. It also standardizes the QA process by enhancing the visibility of the test cases and offers real-time feedback and metrics of the software being tested.
An ideal test case management tool is equipped with the ability to test different features in the Software Testing Life Cycle by offering incident and problem management, bug tracking, scheduling of tests and monitoring, test reporting, and logging results.
There are various factors to consider when choosing a test management tool:
- Ability to Integrate
- Remote Tracking and Easy Access
- Cost Effectiveness
- Support Channels
- Productivity: the given software should improve your output
- Ability to integrate with external tools so as to ease the testing process and enable bug tracking.
- Mobile support for remote tracking of the test and easy access for teams that are in different geographical locations.
- Cost Effectiveness: you want to get the best tool with more features at an affordable rate.
- The available support channels: in a test environment, you are advised to have end-users incorporated, it is good to have a tool with available personnel to offer assistance whenever it is required.
There are several things a test case manager expects and considers when selecting a test management tool. These are:
- The tool’s ability to support and facilitate reporting
- Ability to plan, create and execute test cases
- Creating and maintaining tests
- A process for tracking defects
- Ability to install the tool easily
- Ability to monitor the process
- Adaptability to most test projects
- Scheduling capabilities
While choosing a tool, it is also advisable to keep the following in mind;
- Understand the needs of your organization’s project.
- Find out the privacy, security, and cost of maintenance of the new tool.
- Check if the new tool integrates well with any other ones that you may have.
Testing and test management are important when it is done to ensure the quality of software being developed. You need plan and organized all your available resources perfectly. If you are working with testing teams that are spread out in many different nations and you are dealing with many complex modules, you must use an effective test management process. Only an effective testing process can ensure that a well-developed software will appear on the desktops of your customer screens. Effective Test management means the activity of managing software testing through the most reliable test management tools from the beginning to the end. It will increase customer satisfaction as well as better user experience. Software Testing must be capable to assess a software’s functionality to check if it meets the specific requirements and there are no bugs by ensuring quality work. A properly-tested and smoothly running software saves the company’s time, money and reputation.