Constant advances are being made in the satellite cellular phone market as technology changes ever so quickly. That means faster than you can blink they’ll be a new satellite cellular phone on the market with more and more features.
Satellite Phone Buying Guide
Here are some tips to help you choose a satellite cellular phone that’s best for your needs.
- The first thing you need to do is decide whose product you want and who provides that phone. After all the phone is only as good as the network that you are hooked up to. To make the right decision for you it’s a good idea to do a little bit of research on different phones and different carriers. Americansatellite, Iridium, and Globalsatcomphone are just a few options in the US, but you can find more companies that offer satellite phone services.
- Once you know who you’d like to deal with either visit their store or look them up online. And see what phones they offer, what warranties, features, and benefits they also offer. Going in-store gives you the benefit of trying before you buy. Phones come in so many sizes already that it is nice to put it up to your ear and see how it fits. You can still buy it online after you try it.
- Check the screen display and make sure it is both easy to read in bright light and dim light. It’s one of the most often missed features yet it is so important. You’ll have to personally exam the phone to test this.
- Do your research to see what features are available. There is a lot of diversity on the market and it’s important to get the features you want. For example perhaps hands-free is important to you or maybe you want to be able to take pictures.
- The best place to save is usually on line. Of course you can check with local businesses to see what specials they are offering but online tends to beat the heat of the local market.
- You need to know the return policies, warranty, and anything else that would affect your decision on what to buy and where to buy it.
Consider things like restocking fee or cancellation fee should you decide to return it or exchange it for another satellite cellular phone.
Satellite Phone Stores
If you are looking for a new satellite phone you can shop at a phone Satellite store or you can shop online. I find that there are much greater savings online with the key being you have an idea of what it is you want.
You will want a phone that will meet your needs whether that is global coverage or regional coverage. Both are available but many times online can save you a bundle and that’s really what it’s all about saving money.
The first thing you need to do is some research so that you have an idea what type of phone it is you need and what type of package you want. The package will depend on why you want the satellite phone.
Satellite phones offer many of the same options that a cell phone does.
Call display, call waiting, messaging, and a host of other features. There are also different types of coverage such as global and regional. Of course a phone with global capability will cost more than regional but if it’s what you need it is available.
Satellite phones use low earth orbit satellite technology which has the advantage of being able to produce a connection around the globe making it an extremely powerful tool for emergencies, those that live or work in remote areas such as scientists at the North Pole, or even those in rural areas.
At the turn of the millennium satellite phones were a big part of the commercial world. They had grown considerably in population just because of all the concerns about the millennium which lead corporations to be prepared in a variety of ways. It was the beginning and today those phones have moved over into the consumer world. It’s an interesting transition.
Handsets start art around $500 and can go up to $10,000. Yes – you read right. Of course, a $10,000 certainly is in a league of its own. That’s a digital phone with a crisp clear digital voice and a high-speed data transfer. Don’t’ be surprised to see a journalist or a remote area scientist holding one of these phones.
Speaking of journalists the video satellite phone is a must-have. It’s changed the way we see news whether it’s on the war front, in the middle of a natural disaster or the aftermath, or any other situation.
And just as there are all kinds of satellite options there are all kinds of options when it comes to purchasing a satellite phone. Online, at your local phone satellite store, or from the used section of your local paper – it matters not where just as long as you get what you need.
For many a satellite phone will never be more than another solution for communication just like the cell phone, for others it will be so much more.
Whether you decide to shop at a phone Satellite store or you can shop online what’s most important is getting the satellite phone at the best price.
Some great tips and an idea of what type of phone you want and what type of plan you need and you’ll be in great shape to narrow down your search. Oh by the way it sometimes helps to set your budget too. That way you aren’t wasting your time on a satellite cellular phone that is way out of your budget.
The most important factor is where you want to use your phone and for how long you need it. If you are only off on a two-week fishing trip into the backcountry or a month vacation abroad you might consider a rental over a purchase. After all there’s no point in getting tied into something you won’t use again.
Your satellite cellular phone is a great way to give yourself peace of mind.
So what are you waiting for?