How To Become An Australian Citizen in 7 Easy Steps- 2023 Guide
Thinking about moving to Australia? It is considered one of the prettiest places in the world. You get to experience loads of different climates, cute animals, unique food, as well as friendly people. If you’re wondering when and how to make that big step, keep on reading! Here, we will let you in on all the tips and tricks as well as all the ways that can make you eligible for Australian citizenship!
What are the different ways of coming to Australia?
- You’re traveling – you have the right to visit Australia as long as if you have a traveling Visa of up to 3, 6, or 12 months.
- You are a citizen – and you have their passport
- You are born to a former Australian citizen
Top 7 important rules that you should know if you plan on moving to Australia
1. You’re applying for a permanent residency visa
You can apply and become a permanent resident, just follow all the rules and meet the requirements.
Some of the rules are that:
a) You will have to apply for a permanent residence Visa (which is around $3,670)
b) You will have to follow a point system where you will need 65 points under the SkillSelect subclass 189 and subclass 190.
2. Watch out for the general criteria when it comes to applying for the citizenship
If you’re above the age of 18, you must meet the following requirements:
- You have passed your citizenship test (different rules apply for people who are older than the age of 60)
- You need to have a permanent residency
- You have to satisfy the residence requirement
- You have to continue to reside in Australia
- Be of good character
3. Residence requirement is important
Did you know that any adult who became a permanent resident by or after July 1st of 2007 must have been residing in Australia for at least four years before applying for their citizenship? This means that:
- You have 12 months of permanent residency
- You haven’t been absent from Australia for longer than 12 months
- You haven’t been absent for more than 3 months in the last 12 months before applying for your visa
4. All you need to know about the citizenship test
The citizenship test may be one of the most annoying things for you to master. Each citizen will have to pass a test before even trying to apply for their citizenship. However, these rules do not apply to people below the age of 18 or above the age of 60. This also does not apply to anyone who suffers from a substantial impairment or loss of hearing, or who has issues with speech or sight.
What is the point of this test? Each Australian test will help you understand the following:
- Australian values
- Their history & traditions
- National symbols
5. How difficult is the Australian citizenship test?
The test is an important part since it will prepare you for your true Australian experience.
You can learn on the go and prepare yourself for the citizenship test with the right site. Give yourself a couple of months and study at your own pace. Citizenshiptestaustralia.com.au is an amazing site that will help you practice 20 questions and master everything there is! You will love studying with them since the number of attempts is unlimited.
Before doing your Australian citizenship test, you will have to:
- Be an Australian permanent resident
- You should satisfy the department of your identity when registering for your test
- Let the department take a photograph of you, or you can bring your own
6. What are the privileges of Australian citizens, and why you would want to become one?
If you end up mastering everything you will become an Australian citizen. This fact might make you happy because of the following reasons:
- You can live anywhere in Australia and experience different parts
- You can seek assistance from diplomatic representatives while oversea
- You can work in some of their public services
- You can serve the armed force
- Your children can have Australian citizenship
- You can vote to elect members of the Parliament
7. What are your responsibilities as an Australian citizen?
Every citizen has to obey the exact set of rules and laws, and those are:
- Defend Australia if there is the need to arise
- Obey Australian laws
- Do a jury if you’re called to
- Enroll on federal registers
- Always vote in elections
Top three most asked questions regarding Australian citizenship
1. How long does it take to become one?
After you fill out your application the DIBP will process it in the following three months or so.
2. What to do if you are a partner of someone (or a spouse) who already has Australian citizenship?
The wife, husband, or partner of any Australian citizen should satisfy the same set of requirements as other applicants. In order to apply for Australian citizenship, you need to meet the general requirements, such as:
- You have held permanent resident status for 1 year
- You lived in Australia for at least 9 months of that year
You should contact DIBP to discuss your options.
3. What if I am a citizen of New Zealand?
You can get Australian citizenship if you are a Permanent Residence Visa holder. If not, you should provide the following:
- You meet the residency requirements
- If you’ve arrived before 26 February 2001 you may be eligible to apply for Australian Citizenship
- If you’ve arrived later you should apply for permanent resident status
Ready to visit Australia?
Since now you know your options, would you be willing to test them out? Traveling to Australia can be a fun experience, just make sure that you follow these top 7 helpful tips. Also, studying for your citizenship test is one of the most important steps, so think beforehand and you won’t feel nervous or stressed out about visiting Australia.