At the very beginning of this article, we want to say that in most cases, the cannabis plant that is used for CBD oil is usually organic, but surely there are some products that are not. What does the term organic mean anyway? It’s a way of producing food and other goods without following the agriculture standards, that require some amount of pesticides and promote the growth with additives and hormones. When we talk about apples, for example, we can determine the origin easily by the looks and taste. An organic apple isn’t much attractive, the color is uneven, and the shape isn’t perfect. The taste, on the other hand, is rich and full of flavors and aroma. Non-organic apples usually look the same, they are shiny, even, and the taste is generic, and a little bit artificial.
But when it comes to CBD products, we can’t determine the same thing by looking at them, because we don’t have the plant with us. The best way to check that is to take a sample to a lab and ask them to run tests for you. If there are any pesticides or fertilizers present, or other substances that are used for commercial growth, then sadly, the oil doesn’t have an organic origin. But, if it’s a clear cold-pressed product, then it’s organic. There is no particular way to tell that by only using or tasting it, but you can surely go for high-quality products.
According to many people, there isn’t a huge difference between an organic compared to a non-organic product, and others think it’s just a hype that stays among the people. Also, some people think that organic products are unreasonably expensive, without giving any additional benefit to the consumers.
But, in order for the CBD oil to be organic, the plant should be grown naturally, without any additives and fertilizers that promote the growth. And we know it’s not possible when we talk about huge amounts, because they require at least artificial lighting when there are no sunny days.
If you still want to use an organic product, then you have to track down the plant’s origin and check how it was produced. On the other hand, if it’s organic, it will be written all over the package, because that’s something the producers want to share with the customers. Knowing that CBD oil production is a very controlled industry, there is no space for lying and promoting something that is not true. You can read more about quality products and see that everything we said is true and that if you want an organic product, then you need an organic source.
But, if you want to boost your experience, then you can:
– Avoid oils that are extracted with butane or hexane, because they can easily stay in the product. The CO2 extraction is a better option because there is nothing left behind it, just pure oil. Cold pressing is also great, but it doesn’t provide enough quantity or requires more leaves and flowers, and it’s much more expensive than the other products.
– See if the hemp was naturally grown, without toxic fertilizers. The best way to determine that is to track down the origin of the plant and see if they have certificates for that.
– If the product is too cheap, and still claims to be organic or high-quality, there is indeed something wrong. Probably it isn’t certified, and some amateurs are trying to place their suspicious product. Since a lot of people will try to save money, they will go for cheaper products, but if the price is unreasonably low, then avoid that oil.
– Every ingredient should be listed on the declaration of the product. There is a common myth that the pharmaceutical companies are trying to sell us low-quality products, to stop us from using the good ones, so they can earn money from the medicines. But, it’s always better for you to avoid these myths and conspiracy theories when buying products for yourself. And when it comes to organic, as we said, it will be transparently listed on the product. Don’t waste your money on something someone is trying to sell as a quality product, because the production is not controlled, and you don’t know what are they using to make it.
– Run some lab tests if you want to go deeper into this. Take samples to at least two independent labs, and ask them to check the sample for you. If the results are compatible with what’s written on the note or declaration, then the product is really organic and high-quality. But, if there is a huge difference, you have to report that product, so the local agency of drugs and medicines can start an investigation and remove the product from the shelves.
– Avoid CBD isolates and go for whole-plant extracts, especially if you want an organic product. Isolates are also CBD products, but they don’t have many flavonoids and terpenes that go together with the cannabinoids. If you want a good product, then it must contain all the extracts from the plant. And when it comes to THC, it shouldn’t be over 0.2% in the whole product. In most cases, the levels of THC are equal to zero, but when they are up to 0.2% it’s appropriate with the standards. Everything above that should be reported.
This is a specific category of products, and it’s understandable that you are looking for the best one on the market, especially if you use it as an addition to some therapy, or easing some disease’s symptoms. Non-organic products that provide high-quality are allowed to be used in these cases. But if you still insist on the organic product, then you can use the information from this article, track down the origin, and be sure you get what you want. Avoid the unknown sellers that claim they are producing the oil by themselves because even if the concentration of active ingredients is good, there can be something that may be harmful to your health.