Samsung has already rolled out Android 6 Marshmallow updates for many of its Flagship devices including S series and Note series. Since Galaxy S5 is a two year old Flagship, earlier we doubt whether or not it will get the Marshmallow taste, but later Samsung confirmed that the phone will get Marshmallow update. Last month they started rolling out the update for few models of Galaxy S5 in few countries. Not all, not everywhere.
But by far, most of the Galaxy S5’s have already received Android 6.0.1 update, except the Exynos variant, i.e. Model SM-G900H. Which is specially the Indian variant of Samsung flagships. I don’t know why Samsung has such irritating partiality with Exynos variant. We are still waiting for Marshmallow update in India for Galaxy S5.
Anyways. There’s a way you can get your S5 updated to official Marshmallow (Android 6.0.1) right away. Yes, it is Official firmware and it will not break your warranty and would not harm the device at all. Actually, the users in Kazakhstan has started receiving Marshmallow update with build number G900HXXU1CPE6 for S5. Since their model number is also the same (SM-G900H), we can manually Flash the same firmware on our phones, in India as well. It is the stable firmware and works really fine. I just flashed Marshmallow on my Galaxy S5, you can watch the video below.
So, now no more waiting for Marshmallow to reach your region for your Galaxy S5 (SM-G900H). If you want, you can get it running right now in less than 30 minutes. How? Just follow the steps provided below.
- Model – SM-G900H
- Country – Kazakhstan
- Version – Android 6.0.1
- Build date – Wed, 11 May 2016 14:29:13 +0000
- PDA – G900HXXU1CPE6
- CSC – G900HOXY1CPE6
- Download the Marshmallow Firmware and Odin from our Download Center. Extract and save them in a Folder on your PC Desktop.
- Download latest USB Driver for your Galaxy S5 and install it on your PC.
- Make sure USB debugging is enabled under Phone Settings > Developer options > USB
- Although this process will not delete any data, it is always Safe to backup your important files and docs.
- Note: This process is only and only for Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900H). Please don’t try on any other model.
Steps to Flash Marshmallow on Galaxy S5:
- Start by running Odin on your computer. Just double click the downloaded Odin setup file.
- Turn off your S5 completely. Now press and hold ‘Home key + Power key + Volume Down’ to boot it into Download Mode.
- On the next screen, confirm by pressing Volume Up key to enter Download Mode.
- Now connect the phone with USB cable to PC where Odin is running.
- Wait for message to confirm phone is detected in Odin.
- Now click AP / PDA on Odin and select the downloaded Marshmallow file. Should be in .tar format.
- Click on Option tab in Odin and make sure ‘Re-Partition” is Unchecked
- Now click the Start button on Odin and leave the PC and Mobile for next 5 minutes.
- Let the process complete.
- Once completed, you will see ‘Pass’ command on Odin and your Galaxy S5 must boot.
Now you can disconnect the USB Cable and close Odin. But your phone will still be in recovery mode for upgrading System apps. It should take about 10 minutes more. When everything is completed you will see your home screen. You can now go to settings and confirm Marshmallow running on your phone. That’s it. Now enjoy the new Marshmallow OS with several fixes and new features.
You can also watch this entire Marshmallow Installation Guide in this video: