Last month YouTube announced ‘Smart Offline‘ feature that lets you schedule the music or video download in the hours when your data charge is very low. We know there are several Night Data Packs available with almost all Indian Operators through out the country. This is different from the usual ‘YouTube Offline‘ feature.
Now, this ‘Smart Offline’ feature actually works with your telecom operator. Which means, your operator must support the same. Well, Airtel becomes the first in India to come up with the same, and it is called ‘Happy Hours’.
Airtel Happy Hours is between 3 AM to 5 AM. Any amount of data you consume during this period, you will get 50% of the same credited back to your account at 6AM. That’s the one benefit. You already know that Night data packs are already cheaper than the day ones. So, the second benefit is you can schedule to download all your favorite content, music or videos during this 3 to 5 AM duration when you have cheaper data, and you still get 50% data back to your account. Well, that really sounds Happy !
Airtel has also launched Happy Hours API for Developers so that they can integrate Happy Hours in their apps for users. Obviously this is not helpful for users, but for Developers too to increase user engagement with the apps.
How Does Airtel Happy Hours Work?
- Users clicks Download
- User gets option to ‘Save using airtel Happy Hours’ as shown in the above picture
- Confirmation that the app has scheduled the Download
- Download will start automatically after 3AM
You dont need to subscribe separately for Happy Hours. It works with your current data plan. Infact you dont even need any confirmation if the features is activated on your Airtel data plan. Happy Hours is by default activated for your Airtel Prepaid users.
Airtel Happy Hours Highlight:
- It’s free: There are no additional charges for users to avail happy hours benefit.
- It’s for everyone : No additional subscription or opt-in is required.
- It’s life as usual : It works on existing data packs. No special packs required.
- It’s simple: All airtel prepaid users get back 50% of the data consumed during happy hours i.e. 3-5AM