The printing needs of companies have diversified dramatically in recent years. Organizations demand ways to improve quality and efficiency while reducing costs. That is the reason why digital printing is a growing industry. It can offer many advantages in the management of various kinds for the corporate and education business, among others. This transition from offset to digital is felt especially in commercial printing, with increasing force, and this is due to the continuous development of technological improvements in digital presses.
In this context, we can say that digital printing is not a new phenomenon. Still, it is becoming an increasingly important trend as those are professionals in the graphic arts sector, and other niches, such as marketing or design, are looking for new ways of capture the attention of your audience. If you are interested in the subject, Pops.co can help you with that.
The shift towards differentiation and added value is fundamentally changing the printing industry, driving the need for shorter runs of higher quality products that contain unique and individual designs. Today, graphic designers also have more pressure to find ways to produce impactful designs to support marketing strategies and to be more creative.
In this scenario, we have consulted the expert who unveiled the five main trends in the digital printing industry for 2024:
1) Metallic effects: The use of a fifth color creates brilliant results, which are particularly popular during the holiday seasons. Using gold or silver-colored papers produces a more subtle effect and gives the impression to be a more premium product. Metal substrates are perfect for adding authenticity to trust signals, awards, and logos. For an even more vibrant effect, it is advisable to use a white pass as the first layer before putting the color.
2) Neon / fluorescent colors: Currently, most advertising includes bright and bold colors. “Not as bright as on the screen” is likely to be said when discussing a printing material. If you want to match the screen colors to the print, it is recommended to add fluorescent colors. Some would say – the brighter, the better, and this is a trend that will undoubtedly rise in 2024.
3) White: As the new year has started, we must observe the demand for darker but marvelous impressions. Design typography is expected to remain a key trend, and adding white color in prints offers a variety of possibilities in opaque and transparent media. White also acts as a bottom layer that can help the colors below stand out or stand out against a colored background.
4) Support of increasingly thick weights: The substrate is the base that serves as a support for the print job. Being able to print on thicker paper broadens the possibilities for commercial printers. At the same time, it gives additional value to its customers. They want to do different and unique jobs. Today new low-cost solutions are entering the market and making textured printing more affordable.
Customers are increasingly asking for print products that speak and connect with their audiences. What better way to do it than with different types of substrates and papers? And when combined with fluorescent colors, the possibilities are endless.
5) Broader formats: The size of the print formats that graphic designers require has always been a challenge for print service providers. But these will increasingly be expanded much more in the digital presses of the cut sheet to cover a complete range of applications.
The big data opportunity will remain unused
Even though the big data opportunity has fantastic potential when it comes to the printing industry, most manufacturers have yet to take advantage of this. Some leading providers use analysis to optimize printing practices, and this could be taken to a whole new level. Manufacturers could use all this data to obtain information and knowledge of the customer and offer new services. However, print management analysis tools are not often designed for Big Data analysis. Many MPS providers lack the necessary business intelligence analysis skills.
The exploitation of big data and predictive analysis will require new knowledge and skills. That will have to be built through a big data talent acquisition strategy, driven either organically or through new partnerships.
Experience in IT services will be vital
One of the researches on the subject revealed that companies would favor IT service providers rather than traditional print providers by 2025. Channel partners should expand their IT experience, either organically or by partnering with service providers. They should be of experienced IT, providing access to a broader portfolio of products, for example, offering print security as part of a managed security service offering. For manufacturers or large distributors, the acquisition of IT providers can be an effective means of obtaining the specialized sales and support experience required.
The leading providers will offer managed IoT systems
MPS providers have a strong legacy in managing printers and multifunction printers (MFPs). The emergence of IoT enterprise platforms that offer asset management, fault detection, intelligent analysis, and remote monitoring represents a broader opportunity for MPS providers to participate in the IoT space. This opportunity is not limited to traditional IT endpoint devices, but could also cover smart workplaces and smart building assets, such as thermostats, lighting, and video cameras.
As business IoT accelerates, MPS providers must evaluate opportunities to integrate their technology with business IoT platforms. The administration of new IoT devices requires new skills to identify and monitor device vulnerabilities. Collaborating and partnering with external providers to gain experience in the administration and security of IoT devices is, therefore, the best way forward to seek additional capabilities.
Artificial Intelligence enters the workplaces
Technology Services in the smart workplace will begin to take advantage of artificial intelligence. In 2018, some rudimentary voice recognition capabilities for intelligent printers and multifunction devices emerged, and we expect to see improvements in 2019. The momentum will depend mostly on partnerships with companies such as Google and Amazon, for example, with the use of Amazon’s Alexa for Business. For traditional print manufacturers, which should be more relevant in the future workplace, capacity development in this area will be essential.