The gallbladder is located in the upper part of the belly. The gallbladder function involves collecting and holding the liquid known as bile produced by the body’s liver, which is used in breaking down of the food. This is small organ can cause huge problems such as gallstones. These stones are formed inside the gallbladder. These gallstones can cause severe pain to the gallbladder. Gallstones are common in women, overweight persons, and people above 40 years of age. But others might also develop gallstones. If the health problems are caused by gallstones, the doctor then has to remove the gallbladder through surgery, but one need not have to worry as one can easily live without a gallbladder.
There are certain symptoms that one experience if they are suffering from gallstones. These symptoms may vary from person to person. Pain in the abdomen is most common symptom, because of extreme pain one might feel nauseas as well, and problems in digestion and fever are other symptoms that one might experience. One must consult a doctor if these symptoms persist. The doctor, to get a clear picture, will examine the abdomen with the help of an ultrasound. This will reveal all the problems associated with one’s gallbladder.
To treat the problem of the gallbladder, one might make adjustments to their eating habits, such as consuming less food which is high on fats to get some relief. But the issues related to gallbladder do not go easily. The best way is to remove the gallbladder through the surgery.
The gallbladder can be removed through surgery in two ways. Under both ways, the patient will be under the influence of anaesthesia; thus, one will not experience any pain and discomfort during the surgery. The ways with which the gallbladder can be removed are mentioned as below:
- Laparoscopic gallbladder removal surgery: This is the most common and modern way of removing the bladder. Under these, small cuts are made by the doctor in the patient’s abdomen. After the cut, a thin lighted tube known as laparoscope is inserted via one of the cuts made on the abdomen to see inside it. Through other cuts, a small camera is placed inside. For the doctor to see better, gas is pumped through one of the cuts. Finally, the gallbladder is removed through surgery. The cuts are then closed with the help of stitches and other essential medical instruments. The biggest advantage of this surgery that the doctor doesn’t have to remove stitches as they get healed on their own. This leads to faster and better recovery.
- Open Surgery: This is the traditional method of removing the gallbladder. Under this, the large cut is made by the doctor on the belly. This type of surgery is required in rare situations. The cut is finally dressed by the doctor. Under this, the individual has to stay in the hospital for a longer period as compared to laparoscopic surgery.
There are various benefits of gallbladder surgery removal. These benefits are mentioned below:
- It is a minimally invasive technique of removing the gallbladder, which leads to smaller cuts and, therefore, less visible scar. Hence one need not to worry about the scars.
- The risks of blood loss under this type of surgery are minimal. It is a safe and basic procedure. Hence one need not have to stress about it.
- With laparoscopic surgery, the patient experiences much less pain as compared to open surgery. There is no discomfort to the patient, and also recovery is fast in the case of laparoscopic surgery.
- The chances of infection are also low when one opts for laparoscopic surgery. This is the reason why it is more preferred over other types of gallbladder surgery.
- One can quickly return to their normal day to day functions. No need to lie in bed for 2-3 weeks. One can recover faster under laparoscopic surgery.
Hence these are some of the benefits provided by laparoscopic surgery. This is why it is a more preferred option for lots of people. However, there are certain things that one must prepare before the gallbladder removal surgery so that there are no complications afterward. The things that one needs to be prepared are mentioned as below:
- Firstly, the person who needs to go undergo surgery will have to go through a physical examination. Doctors also conduct some tests to ascertain whether the person is healthy enough to go through surgery; otherwise, it might lead to complications during the surgery.
- The doctor performing the surgery will inform the person about the whole procedure in detail so that nothing remains hidden from the patients. Doctors will also make them aware of various risks that go with the surgery. After that, a form is signed by the person going under the surgery, stating that you have understood the information provided by the doctor about surgery and agree to go with the operation.
- One can take a shower before the night of surgery or in the morning of the surgery. Your doctor might specifically ask you to clean your body with antibiotic soap. It is important not to shave one’s belly as it can affect the surgical procedure.
- The doctor will ask you to stop eating and drinking before the surgery. One must completely abide by such instructions; otherwise, the surgery could go wrong. This instruction must not be ignored at any cost.
- Take whatever the medicines the doctor told you so before the surgery with just a sip of water.
- There are certain medications that one needs to stop taking before the surgery. Get such detailed information from your doctor, and also, according to the schedule of the surgery, one must plan accordingly.
- Ask the doctor about help one might need before and after the surgery, such as one needs the help to drive etc.
These are certain things that one needs to be prepared for before going for the surgery. If one has any doubts, ask your doctor or consult with Pristyn Care so that everything happens in an orderly manner.